High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

Wilko

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/w ... r-AA15Rvzl

Translation - Camelot don't trust them to pay.
all new Phil

WillPS wrote: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 02.26 Wilko

I’m not sure what the issue is with Wilko. On paper they should be successful - a decent range (that’s not too bloated), competitive on pricing, generally decent quality. It is all rather bland though but I’d guess it’s a combination of quite slim margins and expensive rent that might be their undoing.
BBC TV Centre

The supply issues are well publicised, as is the financial situation it finds itself in.

There's also the competitors - Home Bargains, B&M, supermarkets all vying for the same slice of the pie.

Consumers are notoriously fickle and if they can get what they want easily ahd cheaper elsewhere, they will.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 12.15
WillPS wrote: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 02.26 Wilko

I’m not sure what the issue is with Wilko. On paper they should be successful - a decent range (that’s not too bloated), competitive on pricing, generally decent quality. It is all rather bland though but I’d guess it’s a combination of quite slim margins and expensive rent that might be their undoing.
Yes, I will miss them if they go, they are useful - perhaps even more so than Woollies were.

I don't know if it's the whole story but there was a period a few years ago when the shelves at Wilko were very bare - perhaps an attempt to reduce stock holding to free up capital which went badly wrong?
Martin Phillp

Wilko shelves locally continue to be bare for essentials, but they keep getting crates in of high-end goods that nobody buys.

No longer selling Lottery products was signposted in my store from late November.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 20.54 Yes, I will miss them if they go, they are useful - perhaps even more so than Woollies were.

I don't know if it's the whole story but there was a period a few years ago when the shelves at Wilko were very bare - perhaps an attempt to reduce stock holding to free up capital which went badly wrong?
Now it's emerged that they've taken out a £40m loan from Hilco.

article here ……..

STORY on NEWS.SKY.COM
04-Jan-2023 @ 13:59
WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Wed 04 Jan, 2023 14.00
WillPS wrote: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 20.54 Yes, I will miss them if they go, they are useful - perhaps even more so than Woollies were.

Now it's emerged that they've taken out a £40m loan from Hilco.

article here ……..

STORY on NEWS.SKY.COM
04-Jan-2023 @ 13:59
Interesting. Could be synergies with Homebase, who themselves have been treading on Wilko's toes recently with a high street format...
Martin Phillp

Could we see Amazon Fresh being scrapped in the UK as Amazon look to cut 18,000 jobs across Europe?
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Do they make a profit? I only ever get a chance to visit them off-peak, and they're generally only as busy as a neighborhood Tesco Express seems to be, and on a similar staffing level. The technology must be a bit of a higher overhead, but I assumed the supply chain side shared a bit with Whole Foods so made that more cost effective.

(By the way, I think it's 18,000 jobs worldwide, not just Europe)