High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 23 Oct, 2023 23.37 A little bit more effort with the Poundland temporary signage in Seaham's former Wilko.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... socialflow
Yes, they appear to have secured a supply of teal stick on vinyl to cover up the Wilko burgundy.
Martin Phillp

First email from Wilko since the change in ownership informing customers about The Range taking over.
TVF's London Lite.
Zimba

Not surprising to see that The Range is opening Wilko stores already. Mind I thought it would take longer than they have.

Had a feeling they would as they virtually have no high street presence at all. Mind can't see them doing much in the North East as all the good units have been took by Poundland pretty much.

Must say they've played a blinder; £5m for the company pretty much, no debt, pick what stores what they want, and no doubt get favourable lease's as they'll be desperate to get the stores out. Pulled the wool under the administrator's and creditors.
JAS84

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67229923

Lease already signed on two stores, five to open before Christmas.
Martin Phillp

It's a pretty shrewd way of getting The Range into the high street using an established brand in Wilko.

No surprise that the Plymouth based company will open up two stores in Devon first in Exeter and er...Plymouth.

I wonder if one of the two 'South East' openings will be a London store?
TVF's London Lite.
Zimba

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 27 Oct, 2023 17.49 It's a pretty shrewd way of getting The Range into the high street using an established brand in Wilko.

No surprise that the Plymouth based company will open up two stores in Devon first in Exeter and er...Plymouth.

Not sure why, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Range is completely replaced by Wilko in some areas. Just popped into one there at Durham before and there must've been 10 people in the shop. I'm not saying Wilko stores were exactly the hive of customers but the Wilko at the Arnison Centre at the opposite side of Durham would've been busier than that at the same time.

I still don't get The Range either, it's just a bigger Wilko, with amazingly a worse range, at least Wilko kind of had a purpose.
Charlie Wells

Zimba wrote: Fri 27 Oct, 2023 20.09
Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 27 Oct, 2023 17.49 It's a pretty shrewd way of getting The Range into the high street using an established brand in Wilko.

Not sure why, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Range is completely replaced by Wilko in some areas. Just popped into one there at Durham before and there must've been 10 people in the shop. I'm not saying Wilko stores were exactly the hive of customers but the Wilko at the Arnison Centre at the opposite side of Durham would've been busier than that at the same time.

I still don't get The Range either, it's just a bigger Wilko, with amazingly a worse range, at least Wilko kind of had a purpose.
I wouldn't be surprised if The Range stores start having a Wilko branded section within them. My nearest store already has an Iceland concession.

By allowing the existing Wilko stores to close before opening their own ones it avoids having to negotiate existing lease. It also presumably avoids being stuck with oversized stores, or ones which might have to later close and generate negative publicity. It'll be interesting to see if they choose retail park sites, the traditional high street, or a combination of both for their new Wilko stores.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Martin Phillp

Wilko opening dates for the first three stores to open before Christmas.

December 1:

Armada Centre, Plymouth.
Guildhall Shopping Centre, Exeter.

December 8:

Arndale Centre, Luton.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

It appears two other sites to open in the South East are in Oxford and Bournemouth as Wilko are putting job ads up.

TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

The northern pharmacy chain Whitworth Chemist is up for sale. It also includes their warehouse.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

HMV's flagship London store at 363 Oxford Street reopens on Friday 24th November.

TVF's London Lite.