High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

WillPS wrote: Fri 13 Oct, 2023 08.29 None of it's in stock yet, but if just half of what's promised materialises then that is *a lot* of own brand GM lines to carry for an online retailer; unless they're planning to put all this Wilko branded stock in to The Range as well?
To answer my own question, according to my local terrible quality Reach publication, they are:
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk- ... source=nba
Zimba

WillPS wrote: Fri 13 Oct, 2023 16.25
WillPS wrote: Fri 13 Oct, 2023 08.29 None of it's in stock yet, but if just half of what's promised materialises then that is *a lot* of own brand GM lines to carry for an online retailer; unless they're planning to put all this Wilko branded stock in to The Range as well?
To answer my own question, according to my local terrible quality Reach publication, they are:
It's really bizarre their approach with Wilko. I really don't know why but I have a feeling in the future that Wilko will return in some form on the high street even if it's just effectively a mini Range. They probably just didn't want to spend millions to buy the current pretty awful estate.

It seems they're going through way too much just to sell a few odd products and the brand really doesn't have that much value imo.
BBC TV Centre

Zimba wrote: Fri 06 Oct, 2023 22.47
BBC TV Centre wrote: Fri 06 Oct, 2023 20.17
Zimba wrote: Fri 06 Oct, 2023 10.13 Mind, the Iceland Swift we had at Four Lane Ends was terrible, just expensive and pointless. Now gone and not surprised at all, the Tesco Express along the road was just much better.
I've never understood the point of Iceland Swifts - well, not the one in Hounslow anyway.

Up the same stretch of road is a large Iceland store. I realise the Swift used to be an Iceland store, but to entirely refurb it cosmetically, and put in brand new fridges, tills, other gear in seemed a waste of money. Especially, given that less than a minutes' walk away is a Tesco Express and past the large Iceland there's an entire stret full of local independent stores selling pretty much everything you could want food-wise for all regions. And if you want to help Bezos to the moon, theres an Amazon Fresh next to the bus garage.
Pretty much my feelings about the one up here aswell. Similar, Tesco Express 10 doors down, another convenience store (who's Swift?) in the other direction. Not to mention Newcastle's flagship Sainsbury's a mile down the road where you can get everything. Unless you knew it was part of Iceland, it was just another Premier, Lifestyle, Happyshopper, McColls and so on which are generally expensive.
I think the goods inside from what I recall were Iceland branded and not Swift branded or fake brand names a la Lidl/Aldi, so the secret of who owned it wasn't particularly well kept.

As it happens I was in an Iceland store today and couldn't help but notice how expensive the goods were, especially the fresh chilled items.
WillPS

Zimba wrote: Fri 13 Oct, 2023 21.32
It's really bizarre their approach with Wilko. I really don't know why but I have a feeling in the future that Wilko will return in some form on the high street even if it's just effectively a mini Range. They probably just didn't want to spend millions to buy the current pretty awful estate.

It seems they're going through way too much just to sell a few odd products and the brand really doesn't have that much value imo.
I think they possibly have one eye on replacing the 'The Range' brand (which is shite, let's face it) with Wilko at some point. Maybe some awful hybrid 'Wilko @ The Range' or something.
all new Phil

WillPS wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 13.14

I think they possibly have one eye on replacing the 'The Range' brand (which is shite, let's face it) with Wilko at some point. Maybe some awful hybrid 'Wilko @ The Range' or something.
The Range to me just makes me think of Live Laugh Love tat. I mean there’s an audience for that obvs, but they could retain the tat under a better established brand like Wilko.

The Range does seem to carry a hell of a lot of stock btw. Never a good sign. Always thought in terms of range, Wilko were pretty well streamlined.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 16.00

The Range to me just makes me think of Live Laugh Love tat. I mean there’s an audience for that obvs, but they could retain the tat under a better established brand like Wilko.

The Range does seem to carry a hell of a lot of stock btw. Never a good sign. Always thought in terms of range, Wilko were pretty well streamlined.
Better to have a decent amount of stock than a thin spread and loads of gaps as Wilko had dealt with increasingly over the last few years.
Zimba

WillPS wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 13.14 I think they possibly have one eye on replacing the 'The Range' brand (which is shite, let's face it) with Wilko at some point. Maybe some awful hybrid 'Wilko @ The Range' or something.
Honestly, wouldn't surprise me one bit at all tbh. It's a naff name, bit like the shop really.
BBC TV Centre

WillPS wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 16.42
all new Phil wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 16.00

Better to have a decent amount of stock than a thin spread and loads of gaps as Wilko had dealt with increasingly over the last few years.
The key for The Range will be whether they can turn the stock into cash by selling through it.

No point having a lot of stock on the shelves, but it not shifting, and then having to mark it down or get rid of in some way, and not make margin on it. Plus, the costs of insuring etc.
Martin Phillp

The Range are now stocking Wilko branded flower and vegetable seeds.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Apparently One Beyond (formerly One Below) are going to take on 100 Wilko stores. This is the company set up by Poundworld founder Chris Edwards Sr.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

A little bit more effort with the Poundland temporary signage in Seaham's former Wilko.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... socialflow
TVF's London Lite.