High Street chain collapse sweepstake

JAS84

WillPS wrote: Mon 28 Feb, 2022 20.57 McColl's:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... d=msedgntp
I wonder if that suitor was Morrison's? Some of McColl's stores operate under the Morrisons Daily brand, and Morrison's also supply McColl's with the Safeway range of products. So they have a vested interest in McColl's survival.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote: Wed 02 Mar, 2022 20.53
WillPS wrote: Mon 28 Feb, 2022 20.57 McColl's:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... d=msedgntp
I wonder if that suitor was Morrison's? Some of McColl's stores operate under the Morrisons Daily brand, and Morrison's also supply McColl's with the Safeway range of products. So they have a vested interest in McColl's survival.
Reading other articles, it appears it was EG Group.
JAS84

So, Asda's owner then. Thanks.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Fri 04 Mar, 2022 01.33 So, Asda's owner then. Thanks.
Asda is not owned by EG Group.
Martin Phillp

IKEA is closing their Tottenham store to concentrate on smaller format stores in London.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-03 ... g-450-jobs
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Given that the store is right in the middle of the council's massive Meridian Water development scheme, I'd imagine they could get a pretty penny by selling the site for housing, and little trouble with planning permission. Will be interesting to see if they sell the site whole (it's bloody massive) or if it becomes another BoKlock development.
BBC TV Centre

I suppose there is probably more margin and profitability in housing or selling the land off than continuing to run the store as is.

Increased costs of staff, costs of shipping, and whilst it might be busy, are people actually buying anything - not just taking the kids out to stretch their legs!?

Getting people in the door is all good and well but if they don't buy anything it's a lot of expense. You often get people on the TV news that are sadfaced that a certain shop is closing down, but they actually go in and buy anything? People milling around and then walking out doesn't pay the bills.

I visited the Hammersmith store out of curiousity after work one day, for homewares it is OK but I was disappointed by the food offering.

Yes there's a cafe, however, it is the tiny and pokiest affair; whilst you can get meatballs all of the trimmings are completely missing.

No chips, mash, lingonberry etc served. A lot of the menu was also completely sold out as well, it wasn't a great first impression.

Avoid it if you think there will be a large canteen type thing you see in the larger Ikeas - there isn't!

What Ikea do excel at (and I wish other stores would follow their lead) is having baskets throughout the store, and self service tills in random places.

For people like me who often go in for one or two things, and so don't bother taking a basket but might want to get others there's your market. Shops have never got wise to this.
thegeek

WillPS

Now in administration. Looks like Morrisons are trying to take some of it, I expect EuroGarages will want the PFS locations... I imagine the rest of the chain will probably be broken up.
scottishtv

Given the failure of M Local, it's understandable that Morrisons would want to try and salvage some Morrisons Daily stores if they want to keep a presence in the small/convenience store market. Still - I suppose the price will have to be right.
Charlie Wells

Perhaps worth noting that quite a few of these stores have local Post Offices within them, sometimes with separately staffed counters/areas within the store.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."