High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Alexia

Which makes me wonder what the Britannia Stadium in Stoke will be called next year.

There is precedent: PacBell Park in San Francisco was renamed SBC Park and then AT&T Park after the former organisations either acquired or merged with the others.
wells

Alexia wrote:Which makes me wonder what the Britannia Stadium in Stoke will be called next year.

There is precedent: PacBell Park in San Francisco was renamed SBC Park and then AT&T Park after the former organisations either acquired or merged with the others.
Or the Trent FM Arena becoming the Capital FM Arena Nottingham.

My guess given the troubles, once the deal expires they won't renew it. But it could become either The Co-Operative Stadium or The Co-Operative Bank Stadium, they might just use 'Co-Op' of course.
JAS84

Another nail in the coffin for Blockbuster - the US chain is closing down.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/busin ... store.html
JAS84

Barratts is in administration yet again. That's the third time in the last four years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24899808
Whataday

wells wrote:
Alexia wrote:Which makes me wonder what the Britannia Stadium in Stoke will be called next year.

Or the Trent FM Arena becoming the Capital FM Arena Nottingham.
Although when Red Dragon FM became Capital FM, the "Red Dragon Centre" had a dilemma, as there is already a Capitol Centre in Cardiff.

Therefore we got this:

Alexia

Indeed, although given the national symbol of Wales is the red dragon, that sorta still works, just. We also have this original wonderful retro piece of furniture extant:

I just wonder if the name "Britannia Stadium" will outlast the rebrand given that it's been the name of the stadium since it was built - it's never been known as anything else. I wonder if anyone in Leicester still calls their stadium the "Walkers Stadium" even though now it's something else....
scottishtv

Not a collapse, but I see that Tie Rack has decided to close down.

"Following this prolonged period of decline in Tie Rack's fortunes, it is with regret that we today announce this closing down sale in the UK," a company spokesman said.
Alexia

scottishtv wrote:Not a collapse, but I see that Tie Rack has decided to close down.

"Following this prolonged period of decline in Tie Rack's fortunes, it is with regret that we today announce this closing down sale in the UK," a company spokesman said.
My god. Now where will middle class railway and airline passengers go for their emergency ties? This is a crisis.
Martin Phillp

It appears there's no return for Blockbuster UK this time round. Rentals will end on Saturday, with stock sold off between now and the end of the month.
TVF's London Lite.
Whataday

Alexia wrote:
scottishtv wrote:Not a collapse, but I see that Tie Rack has decided to close down.

My god. Now where will middle class railway and airline passengers go for their emergency ties? This is a crisis.

In all seriousness, it's surprising they've lasted this long. Would have been far more cost effective to open a concession within another store such as WHSmith.
JAS84

nodnirG kraM wrote:I don't know if this is related or coincidental but the local branch of Blockbuster has had its signage and fittings removed over the last few days; this could of course be the actions of the landlord keen to get the next tenant in.
It's been announced that all remaining stores will be closing in the next three days.