High Street chain collapse sweepstake

tillyoshea

cwathen wrote: Wed 11 May, 2022 20.44 [they] are working at pace
One of my least favourite expressions, and one which seems to be everywhere in business (and the Civil Service) these days.

I’ve long imagined this to be a mishearing of the word “apace” which has become so common as to be generally accepted, but I’ve really no idea whether that’s true. Does anyone know? It seems to be a novel enough usage that it hasn’t made its way into any of the major dictionaries yet as a synonym for “quickly”.
bilky asko

I can find nothing either. Working "at speed" is a recognised phrase, so it might be applying that construction to a similar word.
BBC TV Centre

tillyoshea wrote: Thu 12 May, 2022 06.32
cwathen wrote: Wed 11 May, 2022 20.44 [they] are working at pace
One of my least favourite expressions, and one which seems to be everywhere in business (and the Civil Service) these days.

I’ve long imagined this to be a mishearing of the word “apace” which has become so common as to be generally accepted, but I’ve really no idea whether that’s true. Does anyone know? It seems to be a novel enough usage that it hasn’t made its way into any of the major dictionaries yet as a synonym for “quickly”.
It's one of the Civil Service behaviours they assess on applications - "delivering at pace" so it is no wonder the term is embedded into the language of the organisation. I did apply for a job once and had to write a section about it.
Martin Phillp

McColl's administration also affected Yodel's Click and Collect from their stores.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... qa8pnkzxj9
TVF's London Lite.
Please Respond