The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

DJDave

Just been in my local Sainsburys and it was madness, I'm guessing all the tills are now on the new POS System? as they had ques at the self service and the normal tills.

One of the girls codes wouldn't let her override anything on self service, the till I got to seem to be ok to be fair (one of the only few) and asks now at the end do you need a receipt?
Martin Phillp

DJDave wrote: Sun 15 Apr, 2018 13.32 Just been in my local Sainsburys and it was madness, I'm guessing all the tills are now on the new POS System? as they had ques at the self service and the normal tills.

One of the girls codes wouldn't let her override anything on self service, the till I got to seem to be ok to be fair (one of the only few) and asks now at the end do you need a receipt?
Yes, my local store which had the ancient POS system was finally upgraded over the weekend. I preferred the option to add a bag before scanning as the new system assumes you've put the bag in place before you can press start.

Some scale issues have returned if you don't lay down the product flat.

A couple of weeks before the POS upgrade, all of the self service tills locally had tablet sized monitors installed to help the self checkout supervisor see what customers are packing.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Every time I read 'POS' on this forum I read it as 'piece of shit'.
all new Phil

Probably apt if you are talking about Tesco.
all new Phil

Enormous piece of sausage?
Martin Phillp

Sky are reporting that Sainsbury's are in talks with Asda to merge.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Big news if so. Suggests that Asda would be the brand that lost out as well. Early days but would be a good idea to buy some shares in orange paint, there’s a lot of green to cover up.
Whataday

I reckon it would be a better strategy to regionalise both brands - Sainsburys down south and Asda up north. Or Sainsburys in more affluent areas and Asda elsewhere.
all new Phil

We’re not all poor Asda shoppers up north!

I’d say that there is maybe a misconception about Sainsburys’ typical shopper. It is not really an affluent brand - if anything it’s a brand aimed at the same market as Asda but with different aspirations. Asda = poorer market who want value. Sainsbury’s = poorer market who want quality. The Sainsbury’s stores I can think of near me are certainly not in affluent areas.
JAS84

Yeah, where I am, Asda have four big supermarkets and a couple of convenience stores (which I think are ex-Netto), but Sainsbury's have one supermarket and a LOT of convenience stores, because they took over the Jacksons business.

Apparently both brands will remain, but Asda will start having Argos sections like Sainsbury's does.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43933517
bilky asko

Whataday wrote: Sat 28 Apr, 2018 13.40 I reckon it would be a better strategy to regionalise both brands - Sainsburys down south and Asda up north. Or Sainsburys in more affluent areas and Asda elsewhere.
That would be stupidly expensive, and is bound to alienate a lot of their shoppers.

Not only that, but there's no ASDA equivalent of Sainsbury's Local (ASDA Supermarkets are all of Netto size, I think).

Phil is right in saying that the divide is far from clear in any case. I've been in some rough branches of Sainsbury's, and yet the ASDA in Kendal is lovely.

I think, in the long term, converting the lot to Sainsbury's will be the ideal option.