The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:Those Tesco yellow labels haven't always been correct, I've tried buying the 600ml Glaceau SmartWater bottle which to this day has a meal deal sticker, but has never been part of the meal deal.

However Tesco have finally added the smaller own brand orange and apple juice bottles to them.
A mistake was made a few weeks ago where pretty much everything was added to the meal deal, and even though they managed to correct the tills many stores had already printed the new prices - they were instructed to quickly change back to the old ones before trading began but this didn't happen (and you're not really supposed to change these things once the store is open).

Sounds like they've somehow still got some out - pretty bad though, I notice this quite a lot at Morrisons, it's poor though and if I'm noticing it as a punter it should absolutely be visible to *someone* within a supermarket.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:My local Sainsbury's according to a staff member is the final store in London to have their self-checkouts updated to a new NCR model.

There are two types of checkout, a basket only terminal and longer ones designed for small trolleys. Sainsbury's have been generous with the space with eight wide checkouts for trolleys.
I think someone is mixing things up - there are indeed wide and narrow self checkouts, but the push recently has been to get V4 checkouts (e.g. ones with a coin slot with an orange return button) to V5 (the commonplace ones with a coin scoop with a flap over it), the reason being that V4 ones have note acceptors which do not support polymer currency. Both V4 and V5 had both wide and narrow versions.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:My local Sainsbury's according to a staff member is the final store in London to have their self-checkouts updated to a new NCR model.

There are two types of checkout, a basket only terminal and longer ones designed for small trolleys. Sainsbury's have been generous with the space with eight wide checkouts for trolleys.
I think someone is mixing things up - there are indeed wide and narrow self checkouts, but the push recently has been to get V4 checkouts (e.g. ones with a coin slot with an orange return button) to V5 (the commonplace ones with a coin scoop with a flap over it), the reason being that V4 ones have note acceptors which do not support polymer currency. Both V4 and V5 had both wide and narrow versions.
They appear to be the V5 tills. V4 were still in operation until Sunday. The nearest Local is still using V4.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

Are the morrisons ones v5?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:Are the morrisons ones v5?
They're V6, going by this video. Here's Dusty Lutz:

Pete

bilky asko wrote:
They're V6.
That's what I meant yes.

Any reason only they have them? Or do they prefer having a standard estate?

I've definitely seen really clapped out old v4s still in the tesco estate (possibly oban?)

The express in town now has a cards only till with just a tiny barcode scanner.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
They're V6.
That's what I meant yes.

Any reason only they have them? Or do they prefer having a standard estate?

I've definitely seen really clapped out old v4s still in the tesco estate (possibly oban?)

The express in town now has a cards only till with just a tiny barcode scanner.
Well they had those Wincor Nixdorf machines to replace en masse, perhaps that had something to do with it?

I have seen a similar bank of card only tills at a Sainsbury's somewhere in London when I visited recently (EDIT: It was the London Euston Station Local). The barcode scanner requires you to aim the barcode in quite a specific direction, and the machine is even less convenient because there's still no contactless.
WillPS

I guess there's a strategic advantage to having all machines on V5 - V6 doesn't really offer than many innovations.

The difference between V4 and V5 was pretty huge though - V4 units dumped everything tendered in to one massive unsorted box, and so needed massive reserves of sorted currency as they'd burn through it so much quicker. V5 units sort and recycle their own change, which allows them to be smaller. Of course the lack of polymer currency support makes the whole thing academic to an extent.

Those card only units are at Birmingham Grand Central Tesco Express too. I saw on SirKen's twitter a while ago they were trialing ones without the scale in the bagging area - sadly these ones have still got it and seem a little buggy. I think they might be V6 units though. I genuinely think these are the future though - I've stopped carrying cash more or less completely on a day to day basis.
thegeek

bilky asko wrote: I have seen a similar bank of card only tills at a Sainsbury's somewhere in London when I visited recently (EDIT: It was the London Euston Station Local). The barcode scanner requires you to aim the barcode in quite a specific direction, and the machine is even less convenient because there's still no contactless.
Is there a worse laid out store than Euston?
Critique

This'll be why the big Sainsbury's near me had new self-checkouts when I went in last week, with the four conveyor belt ones replaced with 8 standard ones (with quite a lot of room in-between them as they replace a much bigger unit) - these would have been the old style that doesn't accept polymer notes I guess.
Martin Phillp

Critique wrote:This'll be why the big Sainsbury's near me had new self-checkouts when I went in last week, with the four conveyor belt ones replaced with 8 standard ones (with quite a lot of room in-between them as they replace a much bigger unit) - these would have been the old style that doesn't accept polymer notes I guess.
My local store axed the conveyor belt ones a few years back, customers were still using the smaller self-checkouts with trolleys with staff attempting to get them to use it. They were replaced with the standard V4.
TVF's London Lite.