The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

adamcobb55

Yup, font consistency at Sainsbury's was always pretty darned awful when I worked there. Any temporary notices tended to be A4 bits of paper with Times New Roman. I remember once being told to create some product advertising which included clip art even though it's easy to generate barker cards using standard fonts and designs (if you know what you're doing).
WillPS

adamcobb55 wrote:Yup, font consistency at Sainsbury's was always pretty darned awful when I worked there. Any temporary notices tended to be A4 bits of paper with Times New Roman. I remember once being told to create some product advertising which included clip art even though it's easy to generate barker cards using standard fonts and designs (if you know what you're doing).
I know what you mean, it used to do my head in when somebody would give me a sign, printed on across a sheet of pre-printed and perforated barker stock, in Times.

You'd have a job doing that with SELs though (thank God)!
JAS84

Sainsbury's Local seem to be cutting branches. The store in Hull city centre (which they inherited when they bought Jacksons) closed down last week, apparently unable to compete with a Tesco Extra not far away.
WillPS

Can you locate said store on street view?
JAS84

Search for South Street, Hull, it's on the corner of Paragon Street. I don't know how to obtain the exact link. The Tesco I mentioned is at the St Stephen's Shopping Centre, which is very close by.
scottishtv

So I was waiting in line to pay for my fuel at a Sainsbury's petrol station, and found myself behind a man buying a pack of cigarettes. A normal transaction, but then I noticed that the cigarette cabinet in the petrol station shop was fully open, all lit up with the packs on display. This contrasts with the superstore just a few metres away which has a kiosk with the packs behind the little doorflap things.

I eventually figured out that the petrol station shop must be classed as a small standalone store, and therefore not yet required to cover up the packs (like corner shops) but will have to do so in a couple of years. However, the current legislation must presumably cover the big store. Can anyone corfirm that's the case? Also, isn't it a bit odd that a big retailer would do this - surely they would just want to roll out the change all at once to get it over with?
Nick Harvey
God

That is, indeed, the case.
WillPS

Yes, they're licensed entirely separately, hence additionally why the Petrol Stations can and do trade regardless of Sunday Trading restrictions.
Whataday

JAS84 wrote:Sainsbury's Local seem to be cutting branches. The store in Hull city centre (which they inherited when they bought Jacksons) closed down last week, apparently unable to compete with a Tesco Extra not far away.
The Sainsburys (formerly Sainsburys Central) in Cardiff city centre is taking a hell of a battering from the new Tesco Metro that has opened just opposite in the Capitol Centre. There's also a Little Waitrose and M&S (both open till late) on the same street.

However, that Sainsburys has been in decline ever since it changed from the Central format. It's impossible to find things in there. Spent 15 mins looking for Olive Oil, up and down the sauce/pasta type aisles before being told it was in a far corner between the shampoo and the washing up liquid. Oh and the gravy granules are in a little shelving unit tucked away in the fresh meat section rather than with the other sauces.

When I complained to the member of staff the resigned response was along the lines of "you're not the first person to say it's changed for the worse". Alas it's been like it for more than a year now and 6 months ago the new Tesco Metro opened with things in their proper places.
WillPS

I think it was a mistake to ditch the Central format too. The only positive thing to come of the change in Sheffield was the introduction of a massive bay of self service checkouts, which has brought the queues in there down to almost nothing.
all new Phil

There's a Sainsbury's Local opened up in the past fortnight just down the road from me, and I have 2 observations to make:

1 - The POS is all over the place. The small price labels on shelves are in Arial. Some of the larger SELs are in Arial, others are in the old Highway font, yet the more colourful pre-printed ones use the more up-to-date serif font.

2 - No self-service tills at all. Just 6 manned kiosk-style tills.