Teeth

Dr Lobster*

what's the deal with them young'uns teeth?

as some of you might know, i occasionally partake in my hobby of photography which means i occasionally get to take photos of lots of different people.

one thing i've noticed, not just in an isolated case but several times is just how bad the teeth of teenagers are.

i'm not talking about wonky. stained, yellow. mustard yellow. it this the result of a diet of full fat fizzy coke?

i admit that when i was a teenager i perhaps wasn't as thorough in cleaning my teeth as i am as an adult but still my teeth are pretty good i reckon.

anybody else notice this?

also, what else worries me about the youth of today is i think we're going to have a generation of people who are utterly stone deaf by the time they hit their 50s... it's often possible to hear some peoples music from their earphones from 3 or 4 metres away. that can't be good for you.
bilky asko

Dr Lobster* wrote:what's the deal with them young'uns teeth?

as some of you might know, i occasionally partake in my hobby of photography which means i occasionally get to take photos of lots of different people.

one thing i've noticed, not just in an isolated case but several times is just how bad the teeth of teenagers are.

i'm not talking about wonky. stained, yellow. mustard yellow. it this the result of a diet of full fat fizzy coke?

i admit that when i was a teenager i perhaps wasn't as thorough in cleaning my teeth as i am as an adult but still my teeth are pretty good i reckon.

anybody else notice this?

also, what else worries me about the youth of today is i think we're going to have a generation of people who are utterly stone deaf by the time they hit their 50s... it's often possible to hear some peoples music from their earphones from 3 or 4 metres away. that can't be good for you.
As regards to the earphones, it's Apple's fault. Their headphones leak sound more than any other I've seen in my life.

The teeth issue is one I haven't noticed - being related to a dental nurse, however, may prejudice me.
Nick Harvey
God

Sorry Doctor, didn't hear that.

That's from years and years of wearing studio headphones in "turn it up and rip the knob off" mode. Nowadays most places, especially the Beeb, put limiters in the headphone feed so you can't damage your hearing (and then sue them), but it's a good few years too late for me.

As to the teeth, mine seem quite white. Yes, just took them out and checked!
Gavin Scott
Admin

Although its commonly held that Scots have terrible teeth anyway - there's a definite difference between young folk and those around my age. When I was young, there were all those revelations about sugary drinks rotting teeth. I suppose its easy to assume that young people are as aware of this - but unless you tell them they probably don't realise. And kids (unless they're drilled into it, or indeed a little vain) can't be bothered to brush twice a day.

There was a 19 year old who worked in my office. Nice lass, shocking teeth. They were dirty. Proper dirty. And I could smell them. Same as in my old job - couple of school leavers came to work in the warehouse and they had manky mouths.

But nobody said anything. Well, you don't - do you?

But folk in their 20s and 30s - nice teeth. I'm seeing more and more whitened smiles.

I suppose the same thing is true about headphones causing ear damage. When this became known after Walkmans were launched in the 80s, there was a lot of fuss, so people became aware. When was the last time you heard it being talked about? Judith Hann on Tomorrow's World, perhaps?
Nick Harvey wrote:As to the teeth, mine seem quite white. Yes, just took them out and checked!
Ha ha!
Pete

I was at the dentist this morning. First ever time that the "you have perfect teeth" has been followed by "and they're very clean too".

I blame this thread.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ant

I have to admit my teeth are a little discoloured, and it's a little irritating. Saying that, the dentist never complains. In fact I'm sure she said my teeth are perfectly healthy, so perhaps they aren't as bad as I think.

Considering using one of them teeth whitening kits, but I presume they're a bit rubbish.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Ant wrote:I have to admit my teeth are a little discoloured, and it's a little irritating. Saying that, the dentist never complains. In fact I'm sure she said my teeth are perfectly healthy, so perhaps they aren't as bad as I think.

Considering using one of them teeth whitening kits, but I presume they're a bit rubbish.
They are.

Go here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 01.88,,0,0

100 blabs. Save up. Zoom whitening. Lasts a year. 8 shades lighter.

Although call first. I was going to pay my sister and (new) brother in law for their wedding gift, and they said they were waiting for a lamp to come from the states.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I wouldn't say zoom whitening lasts a year. The instant mega-whiteness lasts about a day. Then they dull down. Although they'll still remain whiter than your teeth are now.
I had them done initially last March/April I think, and then again in the US in February.

*Everyone tells me* they have been white throughout. I smoke, but I don't drink very much coffee, and certainly no red wine. Although I'd like to, but I don't like the taste.

Maybe I benefited from having them done both times while I was away from pals - so they didn't see "super white" on the first day.
Nick Harvey
God

Gavin Scott wrote:Although I'd like to, but I don't like the taste.
Never thought I'd hear you say that, Gavin! <wink>
Gavin Scott
Admin

Ooh when you make me blush like that my teeth appear even whiter.

Carry on.
Chie

My new dentist always tells me to keep up the flossing. I have never flossed in my life, so they must be in good shape!

Currently waiting (very patiently) for my wisdom teeth to come through before I can finally have my wonky lower set fixed. One wisdom tooth is half way out, the other is yet to make an appearance. Could be a long wait. I was up for having them extracted at the hospital last year but the dentist vetoed it because the risk of lockjaw and even upper body paralisys was too high.