What do you use?

Critique

And firstly, no innuendo/remarks about the topic title... he says in vain.

So, what software do you use on your computer? So, we're speaking web browsers, word processing, watching video, listening to music, graphic design and all. We've discussed web browsers before, but we've never got any further than that.

Personally, Firefox is my browser, owing to the speed of it, after comparision with Safari, although I've dabbled with Chrome. Music is iTunes, as most of my media library synchronizes with my iPod, and VLC for video, as it reads so many formats.

But, how about you?
rob

Firefox is my internet browser of choice, although I do like using Safari every now and then. I use Winamp to play my music, and I use GOM Player to watch my vids.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Philip

Firefox for web browsing.

iTunes and Spotify, however I may have to upgrade to Spotify Unlimited/Premium since the new time limits on Spotify Free (previously only on Spotify Open) are annoying, but the most annoying thing is not being able to play a song more than 5 times. Ouch.

I usually use QuickTime Player 7 on the Mac as it's fast, it's quick, and it's Apple. For more obscure formats or if I want to mess around with the aspect ratio I use VLC.

For creating home movies and mock videos and that kind of thing I use iMovie 08, which is a pain sometimes and I should probably update it as we're now on iMovie 11 which is only £12 on the Mac App Store.

For image editing I actually use Preview for simple things, and more advanced things I have Gimp. My calendar application is the built-in Mac application iCal.

And that's about it really.
Dr Lobster*

google chrome is my web browser.

use photoshop and lightroom for digital photo editing

use windows media player for music/video.

office 2007 for office stuff/full outlook for email (never liked webmail)

tinker with blender (open source rendering)

do a bit of programming with borland delphi, free pascal. been dabbling with eclipse cdt c++ and qt recently.

google earth for fun.

other useful bits:

vlc media player (plays nearly everything).

windows virtual pc. i've got my delphi development environment in a windows xp virtual machine (i maintain a couple of commercial applications) which is great and easily portable.

7zip, opens everything

truecrypt, secure your bits

about it really.
Lorns

Safari is my web browser of choice and windows media player for mymusic. I use youtube rather than spotify. I don't know why not tried spotify yet.
However none of the above applies yet as i'm using Mr H's laptop. Mine is dead so i'm back on XP. I've got to say though that since i've been using it and made several updates to his archaic ole machine. It's more reliable than Vista and windows 7. It doesn't even have wifi capabilities. So back to ethernet it is.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
bilky asko

• Web Browsing: Opera 11.10, and IE9 for the occasional annoying site. Firefox with Tor (just in case)
  • Image editing: Photoshop for raster, Inkscape for vector (Illustrator is annoyingly lacking in features), Scribus for file conversion in vector. I recently discovered the KnockOut 2 plug-in for Photoshop too.
  • Sound editing: Audacity
  • Screen capture: Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture
  • Video encoding: Microsoft Expression Encoder 4
  • Audiovisual: Windows Media Player 12, RealPlayer, and QuickTime - so everything is covered.
  • Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise (I think). Who is actually using 2010 yet?
  • Programming: VB in Visual Studio 2010 (I only know a bit)
  • Security/Utilities: Norton 360 v4 (after McAfee's shit protection failed to impress), Eraser (so the authorities will never know my secrets), CCleaner, WinRAR, μTorrent, DAEMON Tools Lite
woah

For Internet I use Google Chrome - I tried Firefox 4 for the whole of yesterday and in comparison it's incredibly clunky and slow.

Image editing I use Adobe Photoshop, and for designing/logos etc. I use Adobe Fireworks. Surprisingly versatile and easy to use program!

WMP 12 seems to cover most audio/video formats nowadays and looks pretty so I let that take the limelight. Media Player Classic is there for anything that doesn't play in WMP, I used to use VLC but it now has an annoying habit of sitting there saying 'Caching Fonts' or something each time I load it up. Spotify for occasional music listening.

VMWare for my OS tinkering and networking habits, Google SketchUp for making 3D models, CCleaner for getting rid of crap, Office 2010, and WinRAR.
Chie

Firefox is my browser. I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema for video and WMP for music.
Ant

My software is fairly standard.

Windows 7 Professional for the OS. Can't fault it really - so much better than Vista.

Chrome for web browsing. I've tried Safari and the newer versions of IE, Firefox and Opera but none of them compete. Especially IE - what an awful pile of piss.

Office 07 for word processing et al. I've been tempted to upgrade to the newer version but I can't seem to justify the price. The Ribbon UI is fantastic - one of Microsoft's finest creations of the last few years.

For music these days its exclusively iTunes. I did flick between WMP, iTunes and Winamp for a while but since getting the iPhone a few years back (and thus, my iPod) I just stuck with it. It's not without it's flaws but Apple really win on ease of use hence why I've given into them.

I also use Spotify if there's any music I don't want to buy. Shame about the limits on Spotify Free but you can hardly blame them really. I've actually seen a few of my Facebook friends saying they may be tempted by Spotify Premium, so I can't see it's popularity declining too much thankfully.

GIMP and Photoshop Elements for any image editing, although that's fairly rare. I occasionally use Windows Live Photo Gallery, but for image previews Picasa wins. Audacity for audio editing which is pretty decent, considering it's free.

Skype has taken over from MSN as online chat app. MSN went downhill when they changed it to Windows Live Messenger.
WillPS

Windows 7 Professional (x64)
Opera Web Browser
uTorrent
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Media Player (with VLC as a rarely used backup)
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 - rarely stray from Code View nowadays though. Only force of habit keeps me using Dreamweaver
Office 2010 - but only Word, Excel and Access these days, gave up with Outlook when I realised it did nothing Gmail can't for my needs
Visual Studio 2010 - most of my uni programming stuff is in VB
Spotify
Avantix Traveller
Alexia

OS: Windows XP SP3 skinned to look like Windows 7, plus various ancilliary features which mimic W7 behaviour without actually having the OS.

Browser : Firefox 4

E-mail : Windows Live Mail

Radio presenting : ZaraRadio 1.6.2 with Simplecast Encoder and Update Title

Recording & Editing sound and music : Audacity

Video creation/editing : Windows Movie Maker

Web design : Frontpage 2003 (part of complete Office2003 suite)

FTP : Filezilla

Security : Comodo Internet Security Premium, Eraser, CCleaner, Defraggler

Unzipping : UnzipThemAll

Media Player : WMP11, VLC, iTunes Radio Tuner