Making video look like film (but not filmic or sepia...)

fluffy bunny feet

Hi there, only just picked this site up so sorry for the delay.
There's several ways of doing this and it depends on what software you're editing with.
I use Avid Adrenaline. There are several preset film effects but I like to make my own.
You may have a image tab then colour effect setting. Here you can tinker with saturation and make the image look warmer but still not "filmic". I make a vide mixdown (copy) which is now a seperate clip. I then treat this clip as such: Motion effect 100% speed and duplicated field and isert it over your original edit.
Hope this helps.
Interstingly I looked at the deleted scenes from "The Office" Sers 2 last night and to my eyes they looked better untreated.
Dr Lobster*

what you are seeing here is the result of using a wide aperture lens.

the narrow depth of field is creating subject isolation and wonderful out of focus spectacular highlights you can see from various light sources.

the only way you'll be able to create an effect even close to this will be to use a dslr with video and sticking a fast prime on it, like a 50mm 1.8 (which is cheap).
Dr Lobster*

i took this picture with a 1.4 lens:

it just comes out of the camera like this, the only thing i've done is colour corrected it.
Beep

Are you referring to the Bokeh effect? Easy enough to replicate in aftereffects.
The filmic effect might be achievable by dropping a frame every second, but decent lighting in the source will be needed.

http://www.borisfx.com/Adobe/bccae/

That has some useful tools for both.
Dr Lobster*

you might be able to add a bokeh effect in post, but making it appear in the right places (ie, behind and in front of subject) will require extensive masking, frame by frame. it's not a workable solution in my view when the same can be achieved in camera.
Beep

Dr Lobster* wrote:you might be able to add a bokeh effect in post, but making it appear in the right places (ie, behind and in front of subject) will require extensive masking, frame by frame. it's not a workable solution in my view when the same can be achieved in camera.
AE CS5 has Rotobrush, to save on masking frame for frame!
Dr Lobster*

i don't doubt there will be some shortcuts to doing it in post, but nevertheless it's an awful amount of effort compared to just getting the effect in camera and i don't think it will have the same authenticity.

there is more to just blurring out the background anyway, the blurring caused by a narrow depth of field is progressive and i just don't think you could create that sort of effect convincingly in post on a piece of footage in a reasonable amount of time, it would take ages specially if things are moving around in the scene. i've used those those automatic tools in after effects before (but not the one you mention) and they're far from perfect to say the least.

the point is, the piece of footage which was highlighted in the youtube clip was shot with a short-mid telephoto wide aperture lens it might have even have shot with a Canon EOS 5D or 7D - several promotional/music videos, including an episode of 'House' (whatever the feck that is) have been shot with DSLRs.

if the original poster wants to create the narrow dof effect, the easiest (and the most inexpensive, at least in a time sense) will be to use a DSLR camera with a wide aperture lens.