The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

thegeek

While buying an age-restricted product in Asda today (paracetamol, since you ask), I noticed that the self-service checkout allowed me to continue scanning the rest of my shopping while I waited for an assistant to come and verify that I'm over 16. Much more sensible than waiting at that point.
WillPS

thegeek wrote:While buying an age-restricted product in Asda today (paracetamol, since you ask), I noticed that the self-service checkout allowed me to continue scanning the rest of my shopping while I waited for an assistant to come and verify that I'm over 16. Much more sensible than waiting at that point.
Been that way for ages, same at Tesco and (I think) JS.

Morrisons' setup continues to be barely usable.
jonathan

WillPS wrote:
thegeek wrote:While buying an age-restricted product in Asda today (paracetamol, since you ask), I noticed that the self-service checkout allowed me to continue scanning the rest of my shopping while I waited for an assistant to come and verify that I'm over 16. Much more sensible than waiting at that point.
Been that way for ages, same at Tesco and (I think) JS.

Morrisons' setup continues to be barely usable.
I had thought the recent improvements at my local Waitrose would ease the length of checkout queues until I used the self checkout and discovered they are also Wincor Nixdorf machines. (Perhaps obviously) I encountered a completely inexplicable problem.
all new Phil

https://twitter.com/bryanroberts72/stat ... 4863771648

Asda are getting a new logo and strap line - influenced by Walmart.
JAS84

Not just influenced. Both the sun and tagline are taken directly from Walmart's logo - to be honest, I'm surprised they did that yet kept the wordmark and green colour scheme.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Perhaps its an incremental change.
Philip

Why now though? You'd think if they were planning to introduce the Wal-mart branding over here, they would have done it sooner.

Reminds me of how Midland transitioned into HSBC. First it was "Member of HSBC Group", then the global branding was introduced so it was HSBC in all but name (similar to how Abbey became Santander), and then finally they changed the name.
JAS84

They did. Before Walmart's last logo change, Asda was using signage saying "Part of the Wal-Mart family" and some larger stores were dual branded as Asda Wal-Mart Supercentre. After Walmart's rebrand, the branding stopped being rolled out, those Supercenters becoming just Asda Supercentre. So this is actually a second attempt, more subtle this time.
bilky asko

Philip wrote:Why now though? You'd think if they were planning to introduce the Wal-mart branding over here, they would have done it sooner.

Reminds me of how Midland transitioned into HSBC. First it was "Member of HSBC Group", then the global branding was introduced so it was HSBC in all but name (similar to how Abbey became Santander), and then finally they changed the name.
For banks, it makes more sense than it does with a supermarket chain. The sunrays detract from the ASDA logo, and isn't unified enough with the parent brand for any sort of efficiency gains. Indeed, how many ASDA stores will get the new logo?

It just seems like the result of an argument between Wal Mart and ASDA management.