The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

barcode

Does anyone actually remember the original "Safeway" version which you had hugh box and scanner handed
Pete

barcode wrote:Does anyone actually remember the original "Safeway" version which you had hugh box and scanner handed
Scan'n'go? Flipping LOVED that.

I still have a greenbox in my cupboard, although sadly it has a crack. Some people up the road use them for their recycling and my god I'd LOVE to steal them but I'm too good.

Course they made it trickier when they made you scan a barcode at the end where you had to say if it worked or not, and as you always forgot were then forced to have EVERYTHING rescanned again :(

Plus the little holders never quite worked right in the trolley but never mind.

Concept wise it was WAY ahead of its time, especially the second generation handsets in the newer stores.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Sainsburys still do it in stores which had it installed under the brand "Fast Track" - http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexsegre/102976834/

The "smart boxes" (still with pre-1999 JS logo) were sold off a few years ago though. There's some word about it going in to some more stores but I think it's probably just crossed lines with the Fast Lanes going in.

The M&S have the slickest Fast Lane setup I've seen.
nidave

I seem to recall Tesco looking for iPhone developers to create a scanning app but could not use the current scanning technology as it uses an unofficial api or something like that.

I like the idea of scanning as I go :).
Nick Harvey
God

Pete wrote:I still have a greenbox in my cupboard, although sadly it has a crack.
I think we have more than half a dozen or so knocking around. They initially charged 99p each, but then went through a phase of giving them away, at which point we seriously enlarged our collection.

Three sit neatly, side by side and longways on, in the boot of the rapid racer with various important items therein. The positioning is perfect to fill up the space, whilst not having everything sliding around every time I sharply stop, start or corner.
Critique

Pete wrote:Tesco, Sainburys and Asda all run variants of NCR Fastlane. Tesco seem to have managed to get it working the best over the years through blatant trial and error (did anyone else have to suffer the ones with the belts? *shudder*)
Our local Sainsburys' still has the Conveyer belt version of the Self-serve. It however, also has the version of Self-serve that every other shop has (the bay ones). They stick the conveyer ones in with the served versions, and they seem to move the belt at a random speed, although at one point they had controls on that too.
steddenm

Brilliant offer in Asda at the moment...

Coca-Cola (All varieties) 2l, £1.55 each or two for £4! Apparently the SEL is supposed to read "3 for £3".
scottishtv

I'm nervous posting about Sainsbury's in an Asda thread, but here goes. Was in an Edinburgh store today buying lunch and at the Food to Go crisps shelves there were large red SELs visible placed next to the smaller 'normal' SELs.

The red SELs read:

Wrong capacity
This label is the incorrect width/capacity for this shelf.
Please correct me.

There were about five visible here. Any ideas who would have done this, and why? I ask why becasue the smaller normal SELs that Sainsbury's use for pricing are *everywhere* throughout the store (fridges, ambient, fresh produce) and in every instance they do not fill the height of the plastic casing.

I thought it was odd.
Philip Cobbold

scottishtv wrote:I'm nervous posting about Sainsbury's in an Asda thread, but here goes. Was in an Edinburgh store today buying lunch and at the Food to Go crisps shelves there were large red SELs visible placed next to the smaller 'normal' SELs.

The red SELs read:

Wrong capacity
This label is the incorrect width/capacity for this shelf.
Please correct me.

There were about five visible here. Any ideas who would have done this, and why? I ask why becasue the smaller normal SELs that Sainsbury's use for pricing are *everywhere* throughout the store (fridges, ambient, fresh produce) and in every instance they do not fill the height of the plastic casing.

I thought it was odd.
The width/capacity information on the SEL shows how many of a product can fit onto a shelf. So if it has a width of 2, then you can fit 2 rows of that product onto the shelf. The SEL would have contained the wrong information of the width, particularly as you said it was at Food to Go, which is a secondary location, and so the ticket would be displaying the width that would fit in the main aisle where crisps are. The red label would have been put there to inform price control that the SEL needed updating, otherwise the shelf could be filled up incorrectly, and not all the products would fit on.
Pete

On a Sainsburys theme, I note that their posher cheese now has double height SEL compared to the rest of the store. Is this just for certain parts or is it going to be rolled out everywhere?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

Oh, thanks for that Philip. As it said "label is the wrong capacity" I thought it was referring to the actual piece of paper. I wonder if it actually said "has" and I wasn't putting my reading skills to work properly. I will look again to see if it's still there tomorrow. They are not known for doing anything in a hurry at that particular store.