The *OFFICIAL* Asda thread

Alexia

all new Phil wrote:Spotted yet *another* redesign of Smart Price packaging last time I was in Asda. White and orange - possibly Walmart inspired?
Sounds Sainsbury's Basics inspired to me...
all new Phil

Nope, looks nothing like it. Much classier.
Alexia

all new Phil wrote:Nope, looks nothing like it. Much classier.
Excuse me while I cough on my pomegranate....
JAS84

all new Phil wrote:Spotted yet *another* redesign of Smart Price packaging last time I was in Asda. White and orange - possibly Walmart inspired?
I wonder if they'd eventually rebrand Asda as Walmart (a few stores are dual-branded already)? Using the Walmart colour scheme on own brand products reeks of that. Wouldn't be the first time a brand got replaced by foreign owners.
wells

JAS84 wrote:
I wonder if they'd eventually rebrand Asda as Walmart (a few stores are dual-branded already)? Using the Walmart colour scheme on own brand products reeks of that. Wouldn't be the first time a brand got replaced by foreign owners.
Well Asda have been been removing all links to Walmart branding till very recently, but I've got a feeling something of a u-turn is occurring.
Pete

The new boss of Asda is a wal-mart type. He seems under the (wrong) impression that people will like it, hence the Hershy's chocolate that sits going out of date in every branch
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time Asda themselves have done that: http://www.metropol247.co.uk/forum/view ... e+#p118778
thegeek

WillPS wrote:Interestingly, and something I didn't realise, is that a few years ago Wal-mart rebranded Great Value thusly:

And it seems Asda have bought Smart Price in line with this (or were at least inspired by that) in the most recent rebranding exercise:
I'm pretty sure I saw some Great Value branded stuff last time I was in Asda. Didn't think to look too closely at it, but I'll try to seek it out again...
Whataday

I very much doubt Asda will get rebranded as Wal-Mart. I believe it was the original plan when they took over, hence the 'Part of the Wal-Mart Family' slogan on the carrier bags etc.

However every shred of research since then has told them it's a non-starter.
all new Phil

I saw some Great Value branded light bulbs last time I was in Asda in exactly that design.
JAS84

White and ORANGE? Funny, this got posted on the Logopedia wiki, and there's no orange in sight.