Cleaning Glasses

Pete

So, I have specs for reading purposes. Given that they are very weak and I only need them for very close work I don't wear them that often. However despite this they still manage to get dirty. Now naturally I got a cleaning cloth with the things but that now seems to be dusty and I don't know what to do with it. I've wiped the dust off by running it down my jeans but I'm not sure whether you're meant to put things like this in the laundry or not.

How do other speccymetrotypes deal with this life and death situation?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

Hymagumba wrote:So, I have specs for reading purposes. Given that they are very weak and I only need them for very close work I don't wear them that often. However despite this they still manage to get dirty. Now naturally I got a cleaning cloth with the things but that now seems to be dusty and I don't know what to do with it. I've wiped the dust off by running it down my jeans but I'm not sure whether you're meant to put things like this in the laundry or not.

How do other speccymetrotypes deal with this life and death situation?
Stick it in the laundry. I think those lens cloths are just microfibre "lint free" dealys - there's nothing more special to it.
Jovis

Mine came with a nice electrostatic kind of cloth - well, something like that anyway - and it seems to repel the dust well.
rts

Mine need a clean after this ladybird had a little stroll... http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowansingh/4432302598/

I use warm water and soap. Probably not the best thing but it works well. I got a cheapo spray from Vision Express which works well.

I tend to use the cloth it came with though or a micro-fibre. Tissues are alright, but you're left with little white specs on your specs.
cdd

Strangely, I've found condensation and a t shirt to be the best cleaning method.
rts

Nope. That just smears sweat and dead skin around the lenses. Rubbish!
Alexia

rts wrote:Nope. That just smears sweat and dead skin around the lenses. Rubbish!
In other words, your suggestion is wrong, cdd.
Cache

Alexia wrote:
rts wrote:Nope. That just smears sweat and dead skin around the lenses. Rubbish!
Gosh, you irritate me. Was there any need to have a go at cdd and highlight that his suggestion was probably not the best one? No. You seem to do it a lot on this forum.

Hyma, yes, best way is to just chuck the cloth in the washing machine or even just wash it in the sink with just water. I've always done that and mine's fine.
Alexia

Mattarz wrote:
Alexia wrote:
Gosh, you irritate me. Was there any need to have a go at ccd and highlight that his suggestion was probably not the best one? No. You seem to do it a lot on this forum.
Er, you obviously haven't been around too long. Firstly it's spelt C D D. Secondly it's a running joke on this forum and I don't think Mr Denham minds too much. Thirdly, I think Rowan's riposte was more offensive than mine.
Dr Lobster*

i've found a lenspen will pretty much get anything off your glasses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00005604-L ... 279&sr=8-2
Beep

Alexia wrote:Firstly it's spelt C D D. Secondly it's a running joke on this forum and I don't think Mr Denham minds too much. Thirdly, I think Rowan's riposte was more offensive than mine.
Haha, it's Denman!