Lovely Lightbulbs

Gavin Scott
Admin

And a rather pleasant 85w (@120v) = 500w dealy, here.

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=5809
cwathen

I miss being in the world of proper lovely lightbulbs, although that may not be the case forever, *cough*.
They're still around if you look hard enough. Although you aren't allowed to manufacture or import conventional filament bulbs (except for the few types which were exempted) there is nothing at all to stop you from selling existing stock. Many independent electrical wholesalers bought up huge stocks of common conventional bulbs (pearl BC in 60W/100W etc) which haven't yet been exhausted. Old stock of less common items (Rough service lamps, fireglows etc) are almost certainly still sitting on shelves waiting to be bought.
Also they claim an "up to 10yr lifespan" so if they dare blow within two years there will be stern letters being written.
'Up to' being the operative words - they said it *might* last that long, not that it *would*. Lightbulbs are classed as consumable parts and as such do not usually come with any guarantee whatsoever.

On the longevity argument, is it only me who isn't really seeing any drastic lifetime improvement with energy saving bulbs? There are no fancy fittings in my house, all CF lamps in conventional BC fittings, my landing light is left on permanently and a bulb in that fitting only lasts about 7/8 months, the rest of them (now just under 3 years old) are gradually starting to go. That's longer than I'd expect from a conventional tungsten bulb, but not *that* much longer - certainly not what was hyped when the big push towards them was made a few years ago.
Pete

I've been in this flat for four years and haven't lost a single CFL bulb (except for one I dropped).

I am probably onto my 35th replacement GU10
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

cwathen wrote:
I miss being in the world of proper lovely lightbulbs, although that may not be the case forever, *cough*.
They're still around if you look hard enough. Although you aren't allowed to manufacture or import conventional filament bulbs (except for the few types which were exempted) there is nothing at all to stop you from selling existing stock
That's not exactly what I meant, although in fairness I was being vague.

There are squillions of tungsten filament GLS lamps to be found, but they're all made in China now with poor quality filaments.

I was more alluding to the fact that I used to work in professional lighting, but haven't for the last several years.

Until perhaps some time soon. Maybe.
Pete

So, they're here. Most importantly of course the Engrish on the box is hysterical.

Having popped them in, it's clear that they are bright enough, and the colour temp is decent. The issue I'm having is with the spread of the light. I suspect it would work better if my kitchen had six lights instead of five.

Am going to give them a day or so and see what I think, the potential power saving is considerable however not if I can't see the middle of my room.
Pete

ooh now with all five of them in, its actually quite a pleasant light.
marksi

Pete wrote:ooh now with all five of them in, its actually quite a pleasant light.
Have you had the intelligrence to debug them on your own?
Pete

Well I've managed to put them in the balongen fittings if nothing else.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Gavin Scott wrote:
cwathen wrote:
They're still around if you look hard enough. Although you aren't allowed to manufacture or import conventional filament bulbs (except for the few types which were exempted) there is nothing at all to stop you from selling existing stock
That's not exactly what I meant, although in fairness I was being vague.

There are squillions of tungsten filament GLS lamps to be found, but they're all made in China now with poor quality filaments.

I was more alluding to the fact that I used to work in professional lighting, but haven't for the last several years.

Until perhaps some time soon. Maybe.
And indeed, I can now say that I return to entertainment lighting on 19 March. Contracts signed.

Lovely lightbulbs, here I come. I've missed you very much.

So long, finance - you grubby bastard.
Sput

Can I make you any gobos? I have some old cider tins and a compass
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Och, that's old hat.

They're made of borosilicate glass with dichroic coatings now.