Lovely Lightbulbs

Pete

Not to upstage your return to the world of lighting Gav, however I wish to report that my LEDs are doing delightfully. Having got used to their slight difference in lighting style I am now completely won over by them and even am rather fond of the way they hang slightly lower than the fitting, makes it look a bit technotastic imo.

Now whether to get another pack of them for the bedroom right away of wait to see if they affect the electric bill at all. At first glance at my little Scottish Hydro monitor thing I now seem to be using 8-9kWH a day rather than 9-10. Even if it is just 1 unit a day at 14p a unit, it all adds up.

Now where do you get 60w bayonet equivs on the cheap for my hall?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
dosxuk

Gavin Scott wrote:And indeed, I can now say that I return to entertainment lighting on 19 March. Contracts signed.

Lovely lightbulbs, here I come. I've missed you very much.

So long, finance - you grubby bastard.
Ooh, what you doing? (If you don't mind my asking).
Gavin Scott
Admin

Indeed you can ask. I'm returning to Northern Light. An Edinburgh based firm who fit out performance spaces, sell, hire and service equipment and produce events. They've completed some prestigious jobs around the
UK and the world - including some elements of Pacific Quay.

Brilliant bunch of people - between them hundreds of years of experience and knowledge.

Looking forward to re-establishing some great relationships.
Sput

Gavin Scott wrote:Indeed you can ask. I'm returning to Northern Light. An Edinburgh based firm who fit out performance spaces, sell, hire and service equipment and produce events. They've completed some prestigious jobs around the

Brilliant bunch of people - between them hundreds of years of experience and knowledge.

Are they...watching...us?
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Its possible! Never ceases to amaze me that people I know mention they've read some forum stuff I've written. That came with signing up under my own name - could easily be a curse, sometimes a blessing.

The best part of this career move is that its something I really want. Its never a great idea to move just to get away from a bad scenario - its always better to be moving to something you feel positive about, and that sums up this latest shift for me.

The fact that I'm getting out of a sector and place I don't like is just a happy coincidence!
dosxuk

Gavin Scott wrote:Indeed you can ask. I'm returning to Northern Light. An Edinburgh based firm who fit out performance spaces, sell, hire and service equipment and produce events. They've completed some prestigious jobs around the

Cool and congrats. I know of Northern Light, we don't get many of you guys down here (South Yorkshire), but it's not unknown!

Although in the last couple of years I've ended up doing more sound engineering, my background is in lighting, and it's not unknown for me to dabble in installation. The first three of these pictures are gigs I've either designed or helped on, and the last is a venue down south which is entirely my spec - first venue I've worked in which was supposed to be entirely LED based too, which caused some issues. Ended up with everything bar the strobes (Atomics) as LED.

(Bonus points to anyone who can name both venues pictured ;))
Pete

I feel it is worth mentioning that my Hong Kong cheapo bulbs have now been donated to a friend and all but one have been replaced with LED GU10s from B&Q (Diall own-brand 35w equivalents). These were £9.99 each but I exploited a deal a while back where I got 3 for 2 and 15% off when I spent over £50 and they worked out more like £5.60.

These are absolutely fab, more the 3 high power dots you see in pubs and much nicer colour temp. Annoyingly I have 1 bulb left that has a crappy old one in but I have intentions to replace this next time they go on offer.

Course I've now cancelled out my energy savings by installing a chandelier in my living room with 5 halogen candle bulbs on a dimmer but never mind. it looks fab
"He has to be larger than bacon"
marksi

I've got 3 of the Ikea LED GU10s in a lamp in the all-new improved kitchen/lounge and they're a very nice, warm white. £4 each.

Next on the list for LED replacement is the outside garden floodlight which is currently 100w halogen.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Megaman GU10 LED 9W lamps - single point source (not these cluster of three emitters which cast odd shadows), all stable 2800k temperature - exactly matching the 50W tungsten they replace.

Facebook chums might have seen them in a pic I put up - my office with a giant touch screen - they are in the ceiling. Just lovely quality of light out of them, but not cheap. A tenner at trade price. Worth it though.
Dr Lobster*

http://www.retrotouch.co.uk/candle-led-bulbs/03300.html

Seen these in action?

They look absolutely stunning, I'm looking forward to redecorating our living room so I can incorporate a few of these in some wall lights. Expensive though.
scottishtv

Anyone got any tips on what to go for to replace just the old everyday bog-standard bayonet/screw fit 60W incandescents?

I've tried a couple of supermarket brand and Philips energy-saving globe affairs since my old 'warm white' traditional Philips bulbs gave up in the bedside lamps. But so far, I still feel like I'm sat reading a book in the basement of an NCP multi storey.

Trying to sort it out has just led to expensive trips round Homebase with a confused sad face on.