Myths, mistruths and a well oiled publicity machine

Pete

All the endless roadworks on the site are finished. Now, our task is to try and make ourselves more popular with the good members on the other site and therefore become busier.

So what are our problems. Well first of all, we have a 25% bounce rate, that is, a quarter of new visitors who come on our site, leave, instantly. I suspect this was due to the crap homepage scaring people away. The homepage has now been ditched. For good, so hopefully that problem will begin to settle down.

Secondly, people still think you need to log in to view the site. Now the homepage, having a log on form, probably did not help. However now when you visit for the first time, you see this:
metronew.jpg
so this not only welcomes new visitors, but gives links to "read along" and shows the site, open for all, right below it. However its likely there are some on TVF who still don't click though because they think they'll get a big logon form, its these folk we need to get through to.

Thirdly, modernation. There are those who think that me and gav have our wicked way when of course, we're fair. Are we fair? I'd hope yous all think so, because I do. However this is sort of linked into the forth issue.

Metropol is a big clique. Now you'd think the fact StuartPlymouth, barcode and beep are still posting would be evidence but apparently not. So we need to try and dispell this too.

So now, we need to think of how to dispell these myths, how to attract people, and indeed if there are any other reasons people don't join when they join TVF. I know the second form is an issue but until TVF's new software and what not that is pretty much unfixable.

So, ideas?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nini
Banned

Myths... haha... um, yeah. To me, you'll have to play a hearts and minds game to turn people's opinions around and even then I think you'll have a tough time convincing people to come. Those we know who aren't here but are fab people won't come because they don't want to and may never do so. We can try to change it but the whole "it's a clique" thing holds true when we have a 300+ page about the other forum and short of getting rid of all the old hands from TVF from here it will remain a clique in the minds of those who'd rather not get involved with us rude arseholes.

As for the governance here, it's light and that's great as self-moderation is the sign of a mature, well balanced forum. I wouldn't want the situation at either TVF or DS as they have an odd position of having admins and mods being incognito when they're required but coming down hard when it's not.

The real issue for me is why bother to try and change opinion? If we had the company of such luminaries like nok32uk, tomx, and littlesmegger to name a few it'd make this place unbearable. I used to come here before the ban to get away from the complete shite over there and talk to witty people who seem to think in adult real world terms instead of the dim, tightly focused world some live in there, not to talk a different sort of dross from the same fuckwits I'm trying to ignore.

If of course we're going to do a more selective request for people to come over that'd be great but I'd like to see some form of quality control because if the whole TT incident showed us anything it's that some people will not survive here figuratively through death by a thousand barbed words. Personally, I feel the clique works, the relative cattlefarm of TVF and DS do not. I'm not saying new blood would be good, it'd be better to have more people here but they've got to be able to fit in with the rest of the clientele here and not be some faceless someone we've never seen before like JoandCo.

Just assuage my fears of the dull, blue tinged future of Metropol because I really don't want to leave because it took a different turn when the floodgates were opened through a unified login system and became tedious for much of the time.
Netizen

One of the best things about Metropol is that it isn't afraid to let idiots be called out on their daft posts and opinions, but of course that's going to put even intelligent people off if they're afraid of being made an example of. I know the so called clique (which I used to believe existed) has been accused of ganging up on peoples but it's hardly an organised hate campaign is it? They're probably just jealous they don't get any nice juicy PMs.

Or maybe it's cos within minutes of joining/posting I got Plymouth waxing his way into my inbox (and i think msn), which could also be a deterrent. I hope that's not just me.
Nini
Banned

Depends on your definition of clique, in some ways a forum will always generate a clique even if you don't intend it, just how it is.
Netzien wrote:Or maybe it's cos within minutes of joining/posting I got Plymouth waxing his way into my inbox (and i think msn), which could also be a deterrent. I hope that's not just me.
That's just plain creepy, my sympathies.
Stuart*
Banned

Netizen wrote:Or maybe it's cos within minutes of joining/posting I got Plymouth waxing his way into my inbox (and i think msn), which could also be a deterrent. I hope that's not just me.
I don't recall ever sending you a PM, and I have no idea what your MSN account is.
Hymagumba wrote:Metropol is a big clique. Now you'd think the fact StuartPlymouth, barcode and beep are still posting would be evidence but apparently not. So we need to try and dispell this too.
Mmmm...to lump me in with barcode and chubby... :o

As for the 'alleged clique', it would take more than these two to scare me off :lol:
User removed
Nini
Banned

I'm going to pass over Stu's post, I can tell he's been desperate to post those for some time.
Pete

shut up stu.
If of course we're going to do a more selective request for people to come over that'd be great but I'd like to see some form of quality control because if the whole TT incident showed us anything it's that some people will not survive here figuratively through death by a thousand barbed words. Personally, I feel the clique works, the relative cattlefarm of TVF and DS do not. I'm not saying new blood would be good, it'd be better to have more people here but they've got to be able to fit in with the rest of the clientele here and not be some faceless someone we've never seen before like JoandCo.
First of all, I'm getting closer and closer to the opinion that TT is an elaborate hoax, and the photos were taken him himself and some other person in on his joke. Even if he were a real life mental, the fact he was incapable of seeing any criticism and then denied knowledge of any illness spoke volumes.

As for everyone else my theory runs thus...
People like Joan D'Co probably wouldn't last as I doubt they'd enjoy it, and this is part of the self policing quality control system.

The issue is, TVF gets many new signups, we don't. If we can get the signups from TVF, the dross will separate itself from the cream and we'll have more fab members to boot. Think of it this way, the latest three members that come to mind are davidmgc, LaSeandre and Captain.Cubbio.

The third of which has been pulled up for being craig adams and should hopefully therefore shoo, the other two have had the odd duff post but are settling in nicely. This is more what it would be nice to see.
Nini
Banned

See where you are coming from now. Self policing QC is good but that specific QC sometimes also garners complete twats which just won't leave and become resident trolls. You mention them yourself and as much I would love more fabbo members here, the ratio between the fab and the downright grating is too much in favour of the latter. Has a list of fab people from TVF who aren't here ever been drawn up? I'm thinking that it's likely it's been done but why not just give out PMs to specific people asking them to have a little browse and join up then go out and see if one thread laying out what the truth is about us and to give a second chance to us is worth it.

Could be quite fun if we manage to do something like the whole zero tolerance thing that got pushed out on TVF with all spiff graphics made up, they should be endorsing the links we have rather than considering us the arkward sister they don't talk about often. I have no other ideas, that's all I got.
freddy

Hymagumba wrote:shut up stu.
You don't think that dismissive comments like the above might have something to do with the lack of new members?
Pete

freddy wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:shut up stu.
You don't think that dismissive comments like the above might have something to do with the lack of new members?
no not really. Stu made a silly post, I dismissed it due to it being silly. I'd say they're a healthy part of the way this forum works. If the site was truly ghastly stu would have been banned ages ago or he'd have flounced off in a huff.

I'd say we're not overly more offensive than posts you get on TVForum, the only difference being the lack of a swear filter meaning you get a few more naughty words.

Plus for all the snipey comments you might get on here, there's plenty of healthy chat to balance it out.

So no, I don't really think that it does. Although clearly you do, so please explain as I'm interested.

Nini wrote:Could be quite fun if we manage to do something like the whole zero tolerance thing that got pushed out on TVF with all spiff graphics made up, they should be endorsing the links we have rather than considering us the arkward sister they don't talk about often. I have no other ideas, that's all I got.

Indeed, I'm certainly up for a proper campaign with graphics and the like. Problem is we can't just spam the place, we need to be more tactful, which we're so good at over here.
Nini
Banned

Oh yeah, we're all about tact... I don't see why one of the mods or Asa could make a sticky for us on Media Websites or something where we can be seen and yknow, act like we're connected to it.