Global takeover of Gcap could mean 'heritage' brands go

The forum discussing radio
wells

As I said on DS South Hams Radio, I suspect may be sold.
Spencer For Hire

fusionlad wrote:I just hope they improve the music variety. It's the same songs all the time at the moment.
I take it you've not listened to Heart. ;)
wells

Exactly, if you think Plymouth Sound is repetitive now wait till it becomes Heart!
stu

Well it can't be any worse than Lincs FM, which just plays horrid stuff from the 90's non stop while advertising the breakfast show at any given opportunity. Add the dull DJs and out of tune jingles and you're done.

And Lincolnshire's only DAB transmitter which is opening soon is sadly owned by Lincs FM itself, so nothing decent to listen to on there for the time being. I wish Global or whoever would invest in Lincolnshire!
wells

MUXCO is part owned by the Lincs FM group, yes. Just like all the other MUXCO multiplex are part owned by a radio group operating locally.

Some would argue at least Lincs FM stations are local and don't take networking, but I'm pretty sure the aveage listeners doesn't care about that sort of thing.
cwathen

Well done Charles Allen eh? First ITV now Radio....
Indeed, firstly it 'didn't make sense' for ITV to be regionally branded, now it's apparently a brilliant idea for long standing local radio brands to go too. What next, will local newspapers be merged together and sold under a single national name in the interests of being 'more coherant'?

Interesting that 'city stations' survive the rebranding, but Plymouth Sound still gets the chop. Is Plymouth Sound not a big enough brand in Plymouth then?
wells

City brands are only staying in places there is not a Heart or a strong AC competitor.

A new station called 'Radio Plymouth' will be launching next year, so not all is lost on that front.