Adverts that irritate and entertain

lukey

This is a painfully dull observation, but that ad reminded me there's been a - trend (if you can call it that) - for turning small print in advertising into a feature - what would've once been "Temporary effect" becomes a slogan - "It's not a face lift, it's Vita Lift". There was some ad for Sainsbury's which was so inconsequential I can't even remember what it was trying to sell me - if Jamie Oliver's not shouting at me from a beer tent, I don't want to know. Anyway, yes....in small print it rambled away that they have a website where you can find out how to not eat shit - just seemed a bit odd that the fundamental purpose of the ad was buried down there.
WillPS

Glee trails.
Philip

WillPS wrote:Glee trails.
I don't like/watch that show and even I find the trail humorous. The only one I've seen is an old woman making some speech about how we shouldn't watch the show.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I may lose my gay membership card here, but I can't stand the Glee trails.

There's something incredibly unconvincing about each of the characters in it. It reminds me of an exercise in acting where you tell the class, "some of you are injured" - and everyone lurches around wailing and moaning and pretending to have paralysis on one side.

Its all VERY overplayed. No subtlety in anything. Not believable in the slightest.

To me its little wonder they fade up on the line, "don't stop... believing" in the last seconds of the trail - although sadly I didn't right from the beginning.

My sister loves the show, and I love my sister, so I try to keep quiet about this.
all new Phil

I agree with Gavin.
WillPS

+1
Critique

The only part of the Glee trails I like are the segments with the teacher. Another thing that irritates me in them as that they cut the music in the first second of a guitar solo, which sounds very messy.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Critique wrote:The only part of the Glee trails I like are the segments with the teacher. Another thing that irritates me in them as that they cut the music in the first second of a guitar solo, which sounds very messy.
I'm over her too, now.

She's a fine actor. I've seen her in other things and I rate her - but the character is as one-dimensional as the pupils.

I was round at a pal's earlier and passed a billboard ad for the show. That wee gay one with the baby's voice and 30 year old's face is there crooning into a microphone - and she's in the background doing a panto-style yawn or grimace or whatever it is.

I just thought, "yuk".

Winding the clock back 30 years - Fame (the TV series) was really the same premise - but it was SO much better. The characters were rounded (having been taken from a novel and then motion picture), and had back-story and depth. It waned in later years, but for the first 4 series it was dynamite.

Conversely, I watched an episode of Glee in the States with my sister on holiday. The first 8 minutes showed the pupils (inexplicably) drinking Bloody Marys (or something) from hip flasks, and discussing various ways and times they could get drunk.

I asked Fiona (for she is my sis) if they regularly show them doing this - she said, "no".

And lo - the story escalated to vomiting children on stage during a school concert, and everyone learning the lesson that excessive drinking is bad, and if it must be consumed, moderation is the watchword.

Worst. Sermon. Ever.

Also. Programme.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Watch this and tell me its not utterly wonderful.

Gavin Scott
Admin

she may have redeemed herself.
Alexia

As a racing fan, I appreciate the efforts of Allan McNish's Audi adverts. However, their "Day In The Life Of An Audi Driver" misses out several truths; that Audi drivers are usually prize douches who talk on their phone whilst bombing along roads at 90mph, revving their engines at traffic lights and are usually 40+ reps who listen to Snow Patrol.

They're only marginally less subhuman than BMW drivers.