iPhone 2.0

Sput

I'll warn ya now, metropol doesn't work so well on that platform in its vanilla form. Tends to freeze it up until it gives up rendering and returns you to the home screen.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:I'll warn ya now, metropol doesn't work so well on that platform in its vanilla form. Tends to freeze it up until it gives up rendering and returns you to the home screen.
Oh - viewing Metropol on the move is one of the reasons I want one.

Is there anything we can do at this end to make that better?
Sput

Well, lovely hyma has a side project of a mobile version. An iPhone optimised version would be *amazing* but incredibly hard work to produce. Hopefully the phpBB people will make a nice template that can be slotted into place easily.

Oh, Apple's doing new iphone/ipod touch software that might improve the situation though.
Knight knight
marksi

It looks nice and I'm in the market for a new phone deal, but I don't think I can justify the cost of an iPhone for what I need a phone for. I may be miserable and keep my N73 going for a while with an O2 Simplicity tarriff - £15 per month for 200 mins and 400 texts. Unlimited* internet is another £7.50.

Before I change to O2 Online I suspect Carphone Warehouse (I'm with O2 through them at the mo) will offer something reasonable.

*Not Unlimited.
Sput

Cocks. I just saw an expected PAYG price of £350. And I just sold my Touch as well!
Knight knight
rts

marksi wrote:It looks nice and I'm in the market for a new phone deal, but I don't think I can justify the cost of an iPhone for what I need a phone for. I may be miserable and keep my N73 going for a while with an O2 Simplicity tarriff - £15 per month for 200 mins and 400 texts. Unlimited* internet is another £7.50.

Before I change to O2 Online I suspect Carphone Warehouse (I'm with O2 through them at the mo) will offer something reasonable.

*Not Unlimited.
How does "unlimited" internet with O2 work? I've got something with Orange where I get 35MB or thereabouts.
Sput

I think the "unlimited" add-on is 300MB but the iPhone tariff gives you more as they're obviously pushing that web browsing angle.
Knight knight
marksi

rts wrote:
marksi wrote:It looks nice and I'm in the market for a new phone deal, but I don't think I can justify the cost of an iPhone for what I need a phone for. I may be miserable and keep my N73 going for a while with an O2 Simplicity tarriff - £15 per month for 200 mins and 400 texts. Unlimited* internet is another £7.50.

*Not Unlimited.
How does "unlimited" internet with O2 work? I've got something with Orange where I get 35MB or thereabouts.
Unlimited internet according to O2 is 200MB per month.

Rather than cancel, Carphone Warehouse offered me the new Nokia N78 with 400 mins, 1000 texts and "unlimited" internet for £25 per month (18 month contract). I got the phone today. Looks nice but am slightly concerned the screen might be easily scratched.
Sput

Ah, well it's not QUITE so bad for PAYG: 300 for the 8GB and 360 for the 16GB. That's still a little rich for my blood though.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

The staff in the Orange shop told me that their managers are telling them that it is likely that iPhones will go to all networks on launch day. There are training dates being set up, I'm told.

Apparently Apple are dissatisfied with O2's performance on sales and as this is essentially a new product they are within their rights to walk away from the exclusive distribution.

Price points for handsets would be the same, but they couldn't say about tariffs.

Anyone else heard this?
Sput

I assume you took it with a pinch of salt, it being a man working in a phone shop for the competition and whatnot. Doubt it in the short term, personally.
Knight knight