XFM South Wales sold and to become Nation Radio

The forum discussing radio
wells

Yes, it's true, possibly the worst radio brand in country has been revealed by Town and Country broadcasting who already own several stations in South Wales.
http://www.radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.3453.2

Apparently tests for the relaunched station started today with the RDS now reading 'NATION' .

(It would look good as a car sticker though).

Perhaps partly inspired by this.

Alexia

I don't see the connection....

And Nation isn't that bad a title really... I've been listening to the tests and the imaging ain't too bad.

It won't bother you up in Redditch anyway.

XFM SW never got off the ground -- maybe with a bit more exposure this one will.
wells

Alexia wrote:I don't see the connection....

And Nation isn't that bad a title really... I've been listening to the tests and the imaging ain't too bad.

XFM SW never got off the ground -- maybe with a bit more exposure this one will.
XFM though is a special brand, it kind of sells it self, I'm not sure Nation Radio has that same appeal, but good look to the guys at Town and Country anyway, I'd like to see them do well, it's nice to see such a small group have a chance with such a regional station.
Alexia

wells wrote:

XFM though is a special brand, it kind of sells it self, I'm not sure Nation Radio has that same appeal, but good look to the guys at Town and Country anyway, I'd like to see them do well, it's nice to see such a small group have a chance with such a regional station.

A brand alond can't work -- just look at Virgin -- and XFM suffered from its GCap big brother Red Dragon also serving the area, as well as (as far as I could see) one set of adverts on backs of buses back when it launched.

I think it's good for competition. Where I live, I can now tune into BBC Radio Wales & Cymru (BBC), Real Radio (GMG), Nation (T&C), Red Dragon (GCap), Original 106 (CanWest), Star (UKRD), Kiss101 (Bauer?), GWR (GCap), plus the nationals.
wells

Alexia wrote:
wells wrote:

A brand alond can't work -- just look at Virgin -- and XFM suffered from its GCap big brother Red Dragon also serving the area, as well as (as far as I could see) one set of adverts on backs of buses back when it launched.

I think it's good for competition. Where I live, I can now tune into BBC Radio Wales & Cymru (BBC), Real Radio (GMG), Nation (T&C), Red Dragon (GCap), Original 106 (CanWest), Star (UKRD), Kiss101 (Bauer?), GWR (GCap), plus the nationals.
Ironically, monopolies in local radio can often benefit the listeners, it can often result in more choice, as you don't get so many station competing for the same ground.
Jamez
Banned

Dan Harper as the station voice... christ almighty.

The cheesiest, the most "I'm so in love with the sound of my own voice" fella ever.

Google him. Perfect face for radio.
User Removed
all new Phil

Pot.

Kettle.

(you know the rest)
Jamez
Banned

all new Phil wrote:Pot.

Kettle.

(you know the rest)

Haw haw.