The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

m-in-m

lukey wrote:
m-in-m wrote:Apologies for dragging this thread up from the doldrums.

I noticed today when I went to pay for my carrot in Tesco that they have modified the self service checkouts slightly.

The graphics for non barcoded items is now more similar to a folder rather than just a square. There also appears to be an extra layer to navigate through. As a side point to this has anyone noticed that prior to this when you selected A from the A-Z it only showed Pink Lady Apples (conveniently one of the most expensive varities).

Also reading the local paper this week I noticed that Tesco are seeking permission to install a collection pod in the car park - at the sacrifice of 11 parking spaces (no issue as they are always spares). The pod is designed to allow shoppers to collect their orders from a bay at what is being described as a "Click and Collect" facility. The pod would be open the same time as the store.

The pod is 3.3m high and 8.1m long with a flat roof. I'm afraid I've been unable to locate the planning application on the council website so can't find a picture.
I also noticed some THRILLING changes to the software - like at the top-level menu being able to declare you have bags so that you don't get a 'unexpected item' bark on dropping your bag (necessitating a not-at-all-dodgy-looking first item in bag then drop manoeuvre). It also seems to be calculating discounts on the fly, which removes the excitement of saving 30p on a stir fry sauce BOGOF.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD.
I hope they are consistent in the way they handle promotions. Sainsburys seems to deduct the difference on some promotions during the transaction while others are done immediately prior to payment or scanning your Nectar card.
scottishtv

lukey wrote:I also noticed some THRILLING changes to the software - like at the top-level menu being able to declare you have bags so that you don't get a 'unexpected item' bark on dropping your bag
If it's anything like Sainsbury's, it will be:
- Press "Use my own bags"
- Till appears to do nothing for 3-4 seconds making me jab at the screen again
- It then commands you to put the bags on the bagging area scales, so I put my two bags-for-life on the scales
- 2-3 seconds pass as it 'weighs' the bags then invites you to start scanning
- Scan first item and put in bag
- "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please wait for assistance."

Argh! I wouldn't mind if it was one-off, but EVERY single time. The staff response: 'oh, yeah, it just does that. Be prepared for it to do it again.'

The positive thing about Sainsbury's self-checkouts is that they let you keep scanning after you scan alcohol or something that needs approval. It shouts "Approval needed" and the red light comes on but you can keep going so it doesn't cause a major hold up. Of course, the approval is needed before you can pay.
Gavin Scott
Admin

scottishtv wrote:If it's anything like Sainsbury's, it will be:
- It then commands you to put the bags on the bagging area scales, so I put my two bags-for-life on the scales
Using the Sainsbury's self-scan in Leith now (as well as my new nectar card) - and it asked me if I was using my own bags, and suggested I would gain extra nectar points for taking the trouble.

I was sorely tempted to press "YES" to get the tokens, but I'm glad I didn't after reading that.
Sput

I always found the Sainsburys ones insisted on having your bags approved by a member of staff before ANYTHING could be scanned, resulting in the same level of inconvenience.
Knight knight
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote:
lukey wrote:I also noticed some THRILLING changes to the software - like at the top-level menu being able to declare you have bags so that you don't get a 'unexpected item' bark on dropping your bag
If it's anything like Sainsbury's, it will be:

Argh! I wouldn't mind if it was one-off, but EVERY single time. The staff response: 'oh, yeah, it just does that. Be prepared for it to do it again.'

The positive thing about Sainsbury's self-checkouts is that they let you keep scanning after you scan alcohol or something that needs approval. It shouts "Approval needed" and the red light comes on but you can keep going so it doesn't cause a major hold up. Of course, the approval is needed before you can pay.
I just scan everything through, and then pack it all once I've paid.

I made an amazing discovery a couple of weeks ago that the self-service machines at Tesco accept Irish Banknotes. I was so excited that I decided to try Scottish notes - annoyingly, it didn't work. Luckily, living where I do, Scottish banknotes are common due to the large amount of Scottish holidaymakers we get, so I got a swap.

I've noticed recently that now the machines need you to press pay twice to register. It's annoying when you've counted all your change and you have to prod it again.
Pete

What type of Scottish banknote was it? They're notoriously fussy about Clydesdale ones but BOS and RBS ones work. Odd that the English tills would have different firmware to the Scottish ones.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

bilky asko wrote:I just scan everything through, and then pack it all once I've paid.
That's fine if there's no queue, but people who insist on doing ALL their bagging at the end of a shop when there's a queue rather annoy me, especially when they take their sweet time doing it. Not accusing you of this personally, just ranting!
bilky asko wrote:I've noticed recently that now the machines need you to press pay twice to register. It's annoying when you've counted all your change and you have to prod it again.
Just put your money in. With the possible exception of Boots, you can just start dumping money in and it will take you straight to the pay with cash page.

Boots' Fastlanes are annoying because of the way they insist on conditionally validating receipts if you don't have your Advantage Card with you. Why they can't just print the points on the receipt whenever no Advantage Card is presented like every other such scheme I do not know.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

scottishtv wrote: If it's anything like Sainsbury's, it will be:

I've never had an issue with the Sainsbury machines. They are slow to respond when you press the using your own bags button, but you don't need to wait for the screen to change. I always press the button then drop the bags and get the first one ready. By the time I've done this, the second screen has loaded so I can click done and then it's straight on with the scanning. Similarly, you can easily get ahead of the pay with card process rather than waiting for the instructions.
Snarky
scottishtv

Gavin Scott wrote:Using the Sainsbury's self-scan in Leith now (as well as my new nectar card) - and it asked me if I was using my own bags, and suggested I would gain extra nectar points for taking the trouble. I was sorely tempted to press "YES" to get the tokens, but I'm glad I didn't after reading that.
Oh no, if you're asking about this question at the end of the scanning process and before payment, then you're pretty much home. Press it and take some points. The till does shout "item has been processed" afterwards which sometimes makes me worry it will draw staff attention to the fact i claimed 5 bags to pack a loaf of bread and some milk. Still Nectar's so rubbish I feel it's worth it.
Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:I've never had an issue with the Sainsbury machines.
Sometimes I will get the first couple of items in and think I'm dong well, but still springs the "unexpected item" message up and hitting "using my own bags" just results in the same wait and staff member snooping through my quarter-full bag of goodies.
scottishtv

I went to Tescos earlier. I don't go often and noticed in their groceries/ambient section, a lot of stock now seems to be left in it's cardboard packaging. Examples are biscuits that just have a bit of the box cut out and stuck on the shelf. Also seems to be the case for quite a few crisp lines, and also jars/tins are put on the shelf in their little cardboard holding tray.

I know this makes shelf filling quick for staff, but it looks awful. I went about 5pm and there were lots of empty cardboard boxes on many of the shelves. In a lot of cases, there was stock there but it hidden by behind the empty cardboard cartons at the front, making you rummage around in the shelves.

A poor shopping experience - akin to having to remove empty green trays yourself to get to fruit and veg.

And where there was stock, it looked really shoddy in the cardboard outer packaging - felt like Kwik Save or something. Is this just a store 'gone rogue' or is this how Tesco really want to present products?
Sput

I noticed this with multipacks of cadburys chocolate and whatnot. The only upside is when you realise there's a full box behind an empty one. I feel like I've outfoxed the other customers.

What?
Knight knight