The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

woah wrote:They're rolling them out in Express stores here but no sign of progress in normal superstores. Sainsbury's and ASDA have contactless PIN pads and have done for ages but still no sign of contactless there either!
Sainsbury's are waiting until their till software upgrade (several years overdue at this point).

Presumably Asda are hamstrung by Wal-mart's clunky infrastructure.
james2001

WillPS wrote:Presumably Asda are hamstrung by Wal-mart's clunky infrastructure.
Doesn't help that the US are years behind when it comes to the likes of Chip & Pin and Contactless. And by behind, I mean 2005 levels of behind.
Philip

Although it does feel like we've had Chip and PIN a lot longer than we've actually had it.
JAS84

rdobbie wrote:Keeping with the Tesco nostalgia, they recently Tweeted some delightful old photos of Tesco petrol stations:

http://twitter.com/TescoPFS/status/757485714275725312

I never knew that Tesco once had co-branding with Gulf and ICI, but I remember ASDA's petrol stations were once co-branded with Mobil.
I didn't know ICI was a petrol brand at all - mainly knew them as the owners of the Dulux paint brand. Their Wikipedia article doesn't mention petrol, so it looks like I'm not alone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_ ... Industries
WillPS

james2001 wrote:
WillPS wrote:Presumably Asda are hamstrung by Wal-mart's clunky infrastructure.
Doesn't help that the US are years behind when it comes to the likes of Chip & Pin and Contactless. And by behind, I mean 2005 levels of behind.
Not so much behind as different really. Over here the fairly rapid rollout of Chip & PIN was driven by fraud - over there that isn't nearly as much of a problem. They have digtal capture of signatures over there, which aside from a very brief trial (when JS first tried Self Checkouts) we've never had over here.
all new Phil

I've been over to the States a few times over the last couple of years and I think I entered a PIN when paying for something on maybe 2 or 3 occasions. Everywhere seems to just take a signature. It's just like here 15 years ago really.

They seem to be moving to clunky boxes that you sign on a screen, but not with any sort of urgency by the look of it.
james2001

Some places over here have those signiture pads, the self service ones at Asda definately do, but I've never seen them in use.
scottishtv

I had to "check and sign" a slip in Sainsbury's the other day when the chip-and-pin device wouldn't read my card's chip. The guy on the till didn't know what to do, and called someone over - despite me helpfully explaining the process to him.

Did make me think about how many till rolls they must've saved over the last few years though.
Alexia

Signing a slip still the norm on GWR. This is a year after the Chip&Pin / Contactless EPOSes were meant to be ready.
WillPS

james2001 wrote:Some places over here have those signiture pads, the self service ones at Asda definately do, but I've never seen them in use.
They can't be used though. Paper and pen is the only acceptable method in the UK.

Don't forget that having a chip doesn't neccessarily mean being able to do Chip & PIN; Chip & Sign cards exist - mostly for people with disabilities over here; but lots of foreign cards with chips will act in the same way.
robschneider

Love the old pics of the Mansfield Oak Tree store. My grandma lived near there.