The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

woah

bilky asko wrote:Just been for a visit to my local ASDA 40 miles away in York. The last time I went, all the standard tills had been replaced by hybrid self-service tills.

This time, all the fancy tills have been replaced by the old-fashioned clicky-clack keyed tills of yore in dark grey (bar 3 conveyor belt self service tills, the standard models, and the ones dedicated to the broken down Scan and Go).

Although it feels like you've travelled 20 years into the past, the queues are moving much faster.
It's amazing that they're still using those ancient terminals and systems, and they still seem to be able to source new ones - for example more recent units I've seen come with no IBM branding since their EPOS business was sold to Toshiba. The system is linked with the US Wal-Mart system - so it's probably a mammoth task to replace it all and if it works well for them they've got no motivation to go to all that effort.
WillPS

I didn't realise IBM had sold their EPOS business - interesting.

I think Iceland still use the same ancient tills too?
thegeek

Other fans of IBM tills might enjoy this transcription of a talk about them from Boring Conference 2012.
simonipswich1

Doubt it's a rebrand, our little Asda has just applied for planning permission to change the Asda signs to new ones with ASDA and the flowery thing according to the planning application, no mention of Wal-Mart at all.
JAS84

Is that branch a Supercentre? Some of Asda's largest stores were once called Asda Wal-Mart Supercentre, later just Asda Supercentre after Walmart changed it's logo (and removed the dash from their name).
http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Asda_Supercentre
scottishtv

If you look closely at that image, it reads "Exclusively from Walmart" in reference to the cheap flip-flops.

Not sure why they think that's a selling point, but then these are the same people who persisted in trying to sell a range of Hershey's chocolate products that no-one ever seemed to buy.
Philip

Saw this today and thought Metropol might appreciate it… wonder how old this box this. (Image is flipped upside down)

james2001

Clearly a lot older than the cupboard it's in!
Philip

Yes, if my calculations are correct it's survived one major kitchen refit.
james2001

My grandmother still has an old Tesco Glace Cherry tub that's Best Before January 1995, though it has the logo after that one on it. The cherries are long gone though, she uses it for keeping brown sugar in now!