The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Joe

I would imagine it isn't just 'a' serif font, but part of the type family – there are several varieties: https://www.colophon-foundry.org/custom/tesco/
WillPS

Pete wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 10.42 yet a serif font has bafflingly appeared in the mini refit of one of our Extra's non-food section. looks shite.
The one on their own brand packaging? Got any pics?
Martin Phillp

Already a change locally as Asda under the Issa Brothers have closed the Asda Supermarket which was a former Netto on May 1st.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 19.42 Already a change locally as Asda under the Issa Brothers have closed the Asda Supermarket which was a former Netto on May 1st.
Interesting. I think there is a couple of former Netto Asda sites which have subsequently closed... can't recall which now. I imagine it's just lease-end situations.

Which branch was it please, and what do you mean by already?
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 20.13
Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 19.42 Already a change locally as Asda under the Issa Brothers have closed the Asda Supermarket which was a former Netto on May 1st.
Interesting. I think there is a couple of former Netto Asda sites which have subsequently closed... can't recall which now. I imagine it's just lease-end situations.

Peckham. I expected the Issa Brothers to concentrate on the traditional large scale Asda stores and the potential acquisition of the McColls assets to enter the convenience market, which leaves the ex Netto stores looking out of place.

I believe Peckham was a decision not to renew the lease and is rumoured to being sold for housing.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 20.32
WillPS wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 20.13

Peckham. I expected the Issa Brothers to concentrate on the traditional large scale Asda stores and the potential acquisition of the McColls assets to enter the convenience market, which leaves the ex Netto stores looking out of place.

I believe Peckham was a decision not to renew the lease and is rumoured to being sold for housing.
Worth reiterating that EG Group and Asda are not part of the same business despite the Issa bros having a major stake in both.

The strategy of Asda has for several years, going back to before the takeover, been to reduce their offer and replace the gaps with operators on a concession basis - for example replacing fish counters with Sushi Daily or Panko Streetfood. The new owners are going a step further by optimising floorspace on their larger stores to create room to lease to EuroGarages for fast food options.

Some of the former Netto stores (particularly the later OG Netto stores which were larger) seem to be very successful; the two either end of the hill I lived on in Sheffield always seemed to be busy. Of course, even the smaller ones were never considered convenience stores, hence the 'Supermarket' branding.

It makes sense that EG Group rather than Asda are interested in the McColls business as that's where the synergies are, although I'm not entirely sure what EG Group could put in the shoe box sized stores other than a Tango Ice Blast machine.
Pete

I wonder what'll happen to the Asda Supermarket in North Shields. That was probably the shop that dealt the final blow to the town centre co-op which, 30 years ago, included a substantial department store in the back half. It had been reducing the size of the unit for years and since closing is now being demolished for a new town square / bus + metro station project. If that goes the only town centre supermarkets will be a small Iceland, Heron Foods, and the odd food offerings within Home Bargains and B&M.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Sat 07 May, 2022 12.48 I wonder what'll happen to the Asda Supermarket in North Shields. That was probably the shop that dealt the final blow to the town centre co-op which, 30 years ago, included a substantial department store in the back half. It had been reducing the size of the unit for years and since closing is now being demolished for a new town square / bus + metro station project. If that goes the only town centre supermarkets will be a small Iceland, Heron Foods, and the odd food offerings within Home Bargains and B&M.
I suspect nothing at all, unless the landlord tries to jack up the lease disproportionately. Odd for a community that size not to have a Lidl or Aldi.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Mon 09 May, 2022 10.29
Pete wrote: Sat 07 May, 2022 12.48 I wonder what'll happen to the Asda Supermarket in North Shields. That was probably the shop that dealt the final blow to the town centre co-op which, 30 years ago, included a substantial department store in the back half. It had been reducing the size of the unit for years and since closing is now being demolished for a new town square / bus + metro station project. If that goes the only town centre supermarkets will be a small Iceland, Heron Foods, and the odd food offerings within Home Bargains and B&M.
I suspect nothing at all, unless the landlord tries to jack up the lease disproportionately. Odd for a community that size not to have a Lidl or Aldi.
Though I can't say I am too familiar with the layout of North Shields, it appears an Aldi was built in 2021, around 10 minutes away from Bedford Street.
WillPS

Ah sorry I re-read now, Pete meant on their high street. I think supermarkets (rather than convenience stores) in such settings have been on the wane for a long while now sadly. Sainsburys appear to be binning many of their older ones off as leases come up.

Even in Nottingham the only supermarket offering in the city centre is a Tesco (formerly a larger Metro, now a very large Express). Aldi moved out during the pandemic.
Martin Phillp

Reminds me that the Tesco in Uxbridge started off as a standard supermarket, then a Metro and is now another one of those oversized Express stores where Clubcard Prices are more important than ever to buy goods at supermarket prices.

Sainsbury's also coverted their Central's into oversized locals, including the one on Tottenham Court Road in London, yet my nearest Sainsbury's in Forest Hill has always stayed as a standard Sainsbury's and is a similar size to TCR. It was refurbished and extended after they purchased two empty shops in the early noughties to extend the store. If they closed the Forest Hill store, I'd have to use the two larger superstores which are a decent bus ride away.
TVF's London Lite.