The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

I'm wondering if my Tesco is due a refit soon. It last had one in 2010 and was one of the final stores to be done in the older primary colours style. Since then there have been various bits of the light oak design installed (self-scan tills / scan as you go) and the new bus stops following the rearrange but the walls and ceiling signs retain the older branding.

Admittedly 2010 was a full gutting including complete replacement of all fridges, air con, installing a costa and moving the non-foods to the start - they even took all the metal ceiling tiles down and refurbished them - but surely swapping out the asile signs and a lick of pant is overdue? Big extra has been re-painted four times since then including having the department store tables for non-food installed.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

Pete wrote:a lick of pant is overdue?
Well, that would certainly give them a USP.
thegeek

woah wrote:Lidl/Aldi are equally guilty of this - cheap does not have to mean boring or ugly.
I think Lidl are starting to do slightly nicer interiors - the new-ish Stratford branch has a bit of wood-effect flooring and an in-store bakery. While trying to find some pictures, I found this article about their classy-looking concept store.

As for Tesco - it does feel a bit like all the attention for refits has been on the Extra and Expresses. Our local store is a standard Supermarket and looking a little long in the tooth - the only change in the past few years has been rearranging the self-service checkouts.
all new Phil

Our local Lidl has had an "upmarket" refit recently and it looks pretty good.

My favourite thing, however, is how they have gone to the trouble of putting it on the sign outside that there are customer toilets - yet the staff seem completely unaware of this and the only ones are the staff ones which "you can use if you want but they're not very nice".
Pete

all new Phil wrote:Our local Lidl has had an "upmarket" refit recently and it looks pretty good.

My favourite thing, however, is how they have gone to the trouble of putting it on the sign outside that there are customer toilets - yet the staff seem completely unaware of this and the only ones are the staff ones which "you can use if you want but they're not very nice".
oh yes I saw one of these Lidl's with a toilet sign the other day (possibly in Edinburgh, can't remember) and thought it was quite an odd USP.
all new Phil

I can only guess that it must be something that has come from whatever customer feedback thing they use.

I had to laugh when I read an article recently (possibly in the Express, it's the sort of nonsense they publish) about how more and more people are now shunning the big supermarkets in favour of Aldi and Lidl on the strength of their "amazing" customer service. Clearly never been to my local, where they practically throw your shopping at you at the checkout and tell you to get the fuck out.
Martin Phillp

The bakery in my Extra is getting another refit after Tesco sold Euphorium Bakery.
TVF's London Lite.
B.E. El-Zebub

I never understood what Tesco's Bakery Project was all about, with its 'get involved' slogan.

How exactly were you supposed to 'get involved' other than consuming their doughnuts?

The products were very bland, too - less nice than 'standard' Tesco own-brand baked goods.

It just seemed like a very half-baked (sorry) concept and execution.
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn o lyswennod
Pete

It was all a bit strange. The odd thing is, Tesco's normal bakery is actually rather good, with decent bread and the upmarket doughnuts being better than Krispie Kreme. Sadly these have now been discontinued as the silly american plastic muck infects more stores.

One recent annoyance is tesco appear to be significantly cutting back their cheese offering. They used to do a 300g Canadian cheddar as part of the normal range. Then it shrunk to 200g (keeping the same price) and became Finest. Now its disappeared altogether.

This means the only finest cheddar in my store is the somerset farmhouse stuff (vile) or some new cave aged range I've not dared to try.

The selection on the counter is woeful, basically just davistow and pilgrims choice. plus due to their insistence on ramming so many blocks of precut cheese into the self serve counter, they always have torn cling film meaning there is always a corner thats gone stale from being exposed to the air.

I'm sorry but if I go to a cheese counter I expect a giant block to be cut for me, with the option to sample (Sainsburys manage a sort of half way house). Otherwise what is the point?
Solent James

These ancient self checkouts were proving somewhat problematic in the Eastleigh Metro store today! :lol:

JAS84

It failed to boot? Weird.