The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Philip

Tesco to de-list Kingsmill bread: http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-s ... 52.article

Incidentally my Tesco was out of stock of Kingsmill muffins last week, which at seeing that headline made me think if that was the reason why but apparently it's just the bread and none of the other Kingsmill products. (I got Tesco own brand and they're nicer anyway).
Martin Phillp

I take it Tesco are concentrating on their own brand and Hovis lines, the latter which they're currently subsidising the price to 78p.
TVF's London Lite.
tillyoshea

The Giraffe at Tesco Extra in Kingston Park, Newcastle, which opened only a few months ago, is currently closed for a two-week refurbishment to modify it from table-service to "cafe-style counter service".
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:I take it Tesco are concentrating on their own brand and Hovis lines, the latter which they're currently subsidising the price to 78p.
+Warburtons.

JS are also dropping whole ranges seen as superfluous - Typhoo tea is now only available in some stores; and only the standard 80 bag pack. John West tuna is also being dropped.

There was a plan last year to not sell chocolate tins under cost price, instead discounting their own brand equivalent - although that plan clearly died on its arse because the branded ranges were reduced pretty late in the day.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
There was a plan last year to not sell chocolate tins under cost price, instead discounting their own brand equivalent - although that plan clearly died on its arse because the branded ranges were reduced pretty late in the day.
JS have done that with the Easter eggs this year, selling their own brand for £1, while the Cadbury's/Mars brands are £1.50. That may change as we get closer to Easter.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:
WillPS wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
JS have done that with the Easter eggs this year, selling their own brand for £1, while the Cadbury's/Mars brands are £1.50. That may change as we get closer to Easter.
They did that last year, pretty successfully IIRC.
Critique

Looks like Sainsbury's are trying out some form of e-ink shelf-edge labels, as pointed out by @dresserman (SirKen on here):

Full tweet

Of course Safeway were trying out things like this around ten years ago, and I think there was an M Local that used them too, but I seem to remember they weren't as big and also with a more green/grey background to them. These look pretty much identical to the paper SELs, and quite nice!

EDIT: And coloured ESELs for items on promotion! From @jgweh:

Full tweet
Martin Phillp

As Sainsbury's changed their Nectar scheme where it's now 1 point per £1 and no reusable bag points, they've attempted to soften the blow by sending me 3x 200 points vouchers in the post. However I haven't seen any of these supposed points boosts in-store on products this week, concentrating on low prices.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote:As Sainsbury's changed their Nectar scheme where it's now 1 point per £1 and no reusable bag points, they've attempted to soften the blow by sending me 3x 200 points vouchers in the post. However I haven't seen any of these supposed points boosts in-store on products this week, concentrating on low prices.
So all those people buying a bottle of Coke at the self-service tills and saying they've reused nine bags will be doing it for nothing now.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:As Sainsbury's changed their Nectar scheme where it's now 1 point per £1 and no reusable bag points, they've attempted to soften the blow by sending me 3x 200 points vouchers in the post. However I haven't seen any of these supposed points boosts in-store on products this week, concentrating on low prices.
You missed this then?

Weird one to start with, since it doesn't even need you to set foot in store.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
You missed this then?

Weird one to start with, since it doesn't even need you to set foot in store.
My nearest store doesn't have a petrol station.

Still I'd expect all registered Nectar users who regularly collect points at Sainsbury's to receive the 600 points vouchers.
TVF's London Lite.