The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Martin Phillp

The Co-op is changing their loyalty scheme from January 24th.

Customers will no longer earn 2p per £1 on Co-op products. The credit on membership cards will remain in place until December 31st 2024.
As a member of our Co-op, we're focused on the things you care about. Our members have told us that managing household costs is a top priority for them. So, we’ve listened and now we’re responding. By making changes to our membership benefits, we’re giving you more immediate value back.​
Presumably the funding used to pay for the loyalty scheme will enable them to have a wider range of Co-op Members prices.
TVF's London Lite.
woah

It looks like the prehistoric IBM/Toshiba tills at ASDA are finally being replaced with a new system with an NCR touchscreen - perhaps as part of the decoupling from Walmart.

WillPS

woah wrote: Wed 20 Mar, 2024 22.51 It looks like the prehistoric IBM/Toshiba tills at ASDA are finally being replaced with a new system with an NCR touchscreen - perhaps as part of the decoupling from Walmart.

Oooo. I noticed the Asda Express filling station (recently very cheaply converted from a Co-op) uses something totally different, but then Asda filling stations proper also never have used the same IBM stuff as their supermarkets (if you can find a manned one anyway).
Jacket

This makes me the tiniest bit sad. Was something kinda nice about seeing them still using the same tills as when I used to work there almost a quarter of a century ago! I briefly wondered if the training manager who trained me on the old tills would be training people on these ones, then I realised she'll be well into retirement if she's still alive. Sigh. I'm old.
Jonwo

Aldi has released a wish list of places they want to open stores and that includes well heeled areas like Richmond, Chiswick and Kensington.
thegeek

West London is something of an Aldi desert - Lidl have stores in Acton, Hammersmith and She Bu (and have for ages).

Leytonstone's Matalan closed recently and seems like it's going to be half M&S Food; half Aldi, though the council have longer-term ambitions to turn it into housing.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2024 08.31 West London is something of an Aldi desert - Lidl have stores in Acton, Hammersmith and She Bu (and have for ages).

Leytonstone's Matalan closed recently and seems like it's going to be half M&S Food; half Aldi, though the council have longer-term ambitions to turn it into housing.
In Sydenham, Currys are reducing their floor space to squeeze in an M&S Food.
TVF's London Lite.
Jacket

woah wrote: Wed 20 Mar, 2024 22.51 It looks like the prehistoric IBM/Toshiba tills at ASDA are finally being replaced with a new system with an NCR touchscreen - perhaps as part of the decoupling from Walmart.

Just been served on one of the new tills. It's the same software as Iceland, complete with the baffling recent trend of having a huge customer display screen with tiny text on it.
Pete

Tesco have installed big massive LCD customer facing screens rather than the traditional two line LED panels they used to have. Strange to see any sort of investment in the manned checkouts.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

Tesco seems to be rolling out a EPOS upgrade at the manned checkouts, including a new touchscreen and the larger customer facing display you mention. It seems to be running their own in-house software as it looks extremely similar to the UI on the self-service checkouts, which itself seems to be unique to Tesco.

I wonder if it is now difficult to get hold of some of the components they needed - those LCD screens that Tesco use must have been the same since the 90s!
Charlie Wells

It's interesting to see Tesco's GetGo has been trialling scan-free self service tills in one of their stores, ref https://www.tescoplc.com/tesco-to-intro ... tgo-store/

I'm assuming this technology still relies on all the cameras, and uses a camera to work out which of the self-service tills the person has gone to, in order to transfer the basket to screen. I can see this having the potential to be used at many Tesco Express stores as a way to make the existing experience easier.

It's interesting to see that both Tesco and Amazon 'just walk out' stores have ended up adding both self-service checkouts and a manned checkout to at least some of those stores. They've presumably realised that a large proportion of shoppers were put off by the original offering, or as I found with Amazon Fresh a few times couldn't even get in through the barriers (despite scanning the app QR code).
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."