BBC Radio 1

The forum discussing radio
Jake

Jovis wrote:Reputation for arriving late and or drunk? Does he? I've never heard that from even those who hate the show. He's never even had time off for being ill, and when he's late it's usually traffic-related or getting up and only 15 minutes at the most.

The line 'during which no records were played' is misleading - records are never played before 7am.
He was off ill for a week at the start of September.

EDIT: Before that though I presume he hadn't been off ill.
Inspector Sands

Jake wrote:He was off ill for a week at the start of September.
EDIT: Before that though I presume he hadn't been off ill.
He was off for a week (well 4 days as Monday was Bank Holiday) at the beginning of the month, at the time it was said he was ill but as was revealed the other weekend it was to do with his relationship breakup.

As he has said many times, he doesn't get paid if he doesn't go in hence if he is ever off it's pretty serious! (the same is true of Comedy Dave and Domonic his newsreader, everyone else is staff)
Inspector Sands

Jamesypoo wrote:Whilst I do sympathise with his position, I just think it's the wrong way to go about it that's all.
What turning it into 5 minutes of fairly entertaining radio?
In my last job I had a similar experience and just spoke to HR and it was sorted. He may well have done this already but he didn't say so I'm not going so he hasn't already spoken to the relevant people
I'm sure he has, who wouldn't start to flag it up with the accounts/HR after a few days let alone 5 weeks later! However unlike someone who's staff and in work during office hours he's probably a bit limited in being able to chase up such things.
but either way I just think it's unprofessional for a man who has quite a reputation of arriving late and/or drunk!
In the words of Wikipedia... citation needed.

he seems to cut it very fine getting in and I have heard it a few times when he's not been there for the absolute start of the programme but I've never heard of him turning up drunk. Are you sure you're not confusing him with Sarah Kennedy?
Jovis

He wasn't off for ilness the other week... that's fairly obvious now, from his relationship...
Jake

Jovis wrote:He wasn't off for ilness the other week... that's fairly obvious now, from his relationship...
Ah right, I'm not a listener so wasn't aware.
Jovis

He said he spoke to people this week.
Critique

Is it just me, or have they been promoting ways of getting Radio 1 more? As, the only thing I hear about the Chris Moyles show in the promos at the moment are that it's On radio, Online and on the Red button.
Inspector Sands

Critique wrote:Is it just me, or have they been promoting ways of getting Radio 1 more? As, the only thing I hear about the Chris Moyles show in the promos at the moment are that it's On radio, Online and on the Red button.
That'll be because the Chris Moyles show is on tour around the country and being shown as a 'red button' service just for this week. It's part of a BBC scheme called Access All Areas.
Critique

Ah, thanks for that. I took the touring fact as unrelated in the promo.
Gavin Scott
Admin

There's his truck outside Perth Theatre tonight (ta to Smoutie for this pic).

all new Phil

Anyone heard the new News bed on Radio 1?

It's a bit... upbeat.