BBC Radio 1

The forum discussing radio
jay

I've been a listener of Radio 1 for a few years now, and to be honest - I think it gets better as each year passes.

Alot of my friends and relatives have recently started listening to it too, and it's been quite weird hearing them talking about all the different things they hear on it - this sounds weird, but it's as if they're talking about my family - I feel like I know all of the DJ's and their teams as well as that. Chris Moyles and his gang, Jo Whiley, Scott Mills etc. - surely this is a sign of a fantastic station. It almost feels like a local station in terms of how I think of them.

This weekend also sees Europe's largest free ticketed event in Big Weekend in Maidstone - they really know how to put on a good (free) show!!

Does anyone else think Radio 1 gets better as time goes on??
Twitter: @jasonbetts
Jovis

I think you'll get a lot of negative comments over the next few days.
DAS

Why will he get a lot of negative comments over the next few days?
Jovis

Because I just get a sense that apart from Chris Moyles, most don't like the station. Perhaps I'm wrong. I probably am now I said that.
DAS

Do you mean most of the forum or most of everyone?
wells

Jovis wrote:Because I just get a sense that apart from Chris Moyles, most don't like the station. Perhaps I'm wrong. I probably am now I said that.
Moyles is great, everything else, about the station is awful (well Scott Mills is ok), for example I think Edith Bowman is still on-air as she ticks 2 boxes, i.e she's Female and she's Scottish. And what a ridiculous idea to get Kelly Osborne to do a show? It just seems like a middle aged (Andy Parfitt) man trying to get down with the kids
Jovis

Personally, I like most things about the station, but there are some things I dislike.

Kelly Osbourne for a start. I believe she was chosen purely for her celeb status, and to provide a role model for Surgery listeners. I much prefer the old surgery format from before she was brought in. Aled Jones the other week proved the show could still work well with the right presenter.

Fearne and Reggie. I think they were brought in as they are 'cool and hip'. Yes, maybe they are okay on television - but holding down a three hour radio show? I cringe every time I listen.

A lot of the daytime playlist. I'd prefer it if they mixed it up a bit and stopped trying to follow the crowd. There's a lot of good music played on the station, particularly after 7pm, but this often doesn't get heard in the daytime and instead we get stuff like H20 which is pure manufactured rubbish. Sure, I understand you don't want everything to be stuff people haven't heard before, but equally you don't want it to be crap.

Edith Bowman. But then I'm fine with that - I think lots of people like her, and it's good for the daytime for background stuff while you're at work or whatever.
iSon

jay wrote:I've been a listener of Radio 1 for a few years now, and to be honest - I think it gets better as each year passes.

Alot of my friends and relatives have recently started listening to it too, and it's been quite weird hearing them talking about all the different things they hear on it - this sounds weird, but it's as if they're talking about my family - I feel like I know all of the DJ's and their teams as well as that. Chris Moyles and his gang, Jo Whiley, Scott Mills etc. - surely this is a sign of a fantastic station. It almost feels like a local station in terms of how I think of them.

This weekend also sees Europe's largest free ticketed event in Big Weekend in Maidstone - they really know how to put on a good (free) show!!

Does anyone else think Radio 1 gets better as time goes on??
I should think a station that pays a premium for its presenters, producers, staff, programmes, etc should do as well as it should.

But I can't deny that Radio 1 is sounding a lot better than it has done in recent years.

Chris Moyles however is rubbish.
Good Lord!
jay

See thats another good point about the station - it appeals to everyone in certain ways. Some people don't like Chris Moyles, others do. Some people like Edith, others don't. I personally think the daytime is better than the evenings, others disagree.
Twitter: @jasonbetts
Andrew

Weekdays are ok except for Edith who talks about movies for 95% of her show

Weekends have gone downhill, I can't be doing with BBC Switch or the fact that the entire weekend seems to act as a prelude to the BBC Switch show. Everything from 1pm onwards seems to be aimed at 12 year olds constantly talking about revising and getting callers on who have one word answers. There's only Vernon Kay who is worth listening to at the weekend at the moment
all new Phil

I've been listening to Radio 1 a lot more in recent months, I really do think it is excellent at the moment (although in danger of becoming a bit stale maybe - I reckon a shakeup of the presenting line-up is due). I think Kelly Osbourne gets a lot of unfair criticism, mainly from people who obviously haven't listened to her on the Surgery - I had my doubts when I first heard she was doing it, but I've tuned in a good few times and I think she is great. A very good listener, and her comments on the whole to the callers are really good.

The whole BBC Switch thing is a bit rubbish though, I'm not sure why anybody thought that Nick Grimshaw would be any good. His show is awful, especially Perez Hilton's section (ugh I hate him).

Edith's show is good, although I'm undecided on Scott Mills - his show can be entertaining, but I just don't rate him. I'd love Sara Cox to take over that slot, her weekend show (when she's not on maternity leave, that is) is brilliant.

Absolute favouritest DJ on Radio 1 though... Zane Lowe. Absolutely fantastic, he's unlike anyone else on the radio. I don't even like the music he plays if I'm honest, but his enthusiasm for what he does really comes across well.