BBC Radio 1

The forum discussing radio
Pete

perhaps they should have called 1xtra news "1xtra newsbeat" then. Would have saved a fair bit of trouble.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
m-in-m

Hymagumba wrote:perhaps they should have called 1xtra news "1xtra newsbeat" then. Would have saved a fair bit of trouble.
Or even simpler Newsbeat. The name is generic and both stations are linked broadly so can't see a problem.

Does 1Xtra carry hourly news on the half hour during the week? Could this end up being simulcast?
all new Phil

Really enjoyed James King presenting the afternoon show today, done as a top films of the year type review show. Would love to hear him presenting more often - he was really good, although I suppose his style is more suited to the likes of Radio 2 or 5 Live.

Breakfast show today was presented by a girl called Max I believe. Think she's off 1Xtra - again, very good, and likely to move over to Radio 1 at some point I reckon.

Can't help but wonder how long Chris Moyles will hang on to the Breakfast show for, as well. Whilst I think he's brilliant, I seem to tune in to the same show every day at the moment. It's becoming very repetitive and stale - you can say the same but to a lesser extent about Scott Mills, too. Again, I think he's really good, but they need some new ideas. I noticed this week that Chappers has left, so it will be interesting to see how it works without him in the New Year, as he plays a pretty big role in the show.

I still reckon Chris Moyles and Scott Mills will be replaced by Reggie Yates and Nick Grimshaw respectively in the next year.
all new Phil

Chris Moyles has been off sick all week this week - Vernon Kay filled in Tuesday and Wednesday, and Sara Cox today and tomorrow. Really good to hear Sara Cox with a 'team' - she fits in really well and should be used far more often than for occasional holiday cover all over the schedule.
Jovis

I actually preferred her to Moyles - she was hilarious.
Jamesypoo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/se ... nt-radio-1

Urgh what a prick. If he really did love the job he wouldn't go ranting to the nation. Speak to the people who you have a problem with directly. He's so up his own arse it's unbelievable.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Why does that make him a prick?
The BBC are under obligation to pay him for the work he does very successfully. If the fire brigade weren't paid for 2 months we know they wouldn't turn up for work. Chris is in the fortunate position that he loves the job he does and that is what brought him in to work. He has every right to complain when the BBC then don't fulfill their side of the contract. At least he holds the high ground for still doing his job.
Had he stayed at home and the story got out anyway, he'd have been branded lazy and a layabout. When you're in a position you love, it really cuts down your opportunity to protest unfair treatment.
Snarky
Jake

I'd be bloody annoyed if I hadn't been paid for 2 months.
Ant

He has the right to be paid, and if he isn't paid why should he bother? Especially considering his personal problems at the moment it can't be easy for the guy.
Jamesypoo

Whilst I do sympathise with his position, I just think it's the wrong way to go about it that's all. In my last job I had a similar experience and just spoke to HR and it was sorted. He may well have done this already but he didn't say so I'm not going so he hasn't already spoken to the relevant people but either way I just think it's unprofessional for a man who has quite a reputation of arriving late and/or drunk!

If it were me I would simply not go in if it were the last resort and all other avenues had been tried (speaking to boss, HR, union (not applicable in Mr Moyles' case) etc) already. The prick thing is just my personal opinion and always has been.
Jovis

Reputation for arriving late and or drunk? Does he? I've never heard that from even those who hate the show. He's never even had time off for being ill, and when he's late it's usually traffic-related or getting up and only 15 minutes at the most.

The line 'during which no records were played' is misleading - records are never played before 7am.