Primark clothes

Pete

So I've decided, once again, that primark is infact a load of shit. They don't make snazzy fashion items, they just make clothes that are cheap due to their incredibly slow quality. I am currently wearing a top, age 11-12, which despite having only been washed maybe 4 times is tight around the neck, squint on the right hand side and billows out at the back as if there is twice as much material as there should be.

Another top I bought which fitted perfectly in the shop now billows out like a muʻumuʻu and mr hyma bought a top that was so poor it managed to look shit and curl at the buttom the first time he put it on.

Back to burtons/topman with me I think. The quality of their stuff is far better and I've got tops I've had for four, five years that are still in excellent condition. Even tesco and asda clothing is better than primark, although you tend to see too many people wearing the same thing as you when you buy things there :(
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gavin Scott
Admin

Never been to a Primark. I used to trawl through TK Maxx as it's only 10 minutes from my flat but more often than not I would buy something because it was inexpensive rather than because I really liked it. Searching through the rails is particularly soul destroying too, as you see the same shirts and tops again and again. I did get a nice pair of jeans for a tenner when the rest were marked up as £22. The staff member couldn't be bothered finding a matching pair with a barcode to scan.

I love Burtons. There's always something I feel compelled to buy when I'm there. Usually several items. I was in shopping for something to wear to go down to film Goldenballs, and when I told the lady she gave me the ring I purchased for free and vouchers for a tenner off my next spend as I was going to be top to toe in Burtons apparel on the telly.

Which was nice.
marksi

I don't understand where the notion that Primark was anything other than shit came from. Have Primark stores only opened on the mainland in the last few years? They've been in Northern Ireland for since at least the 70s and have always been associated with cheap shit.

In the Republic they were called Penneys but used the same jingles on tv.

I'm sure I've said this before on here, but the correct pronunciation of the store name is Pree-mark. Not Pry-mark. We have years of TV adverts to prove it.

Wonder what their ethical production policies are. :roll:
Gavin Scott
Admin

marksi wrote:Wonder what their ethical production policies are. :roll:
Speaking of which I was horrified to see Asda's TV campaign showing kids jeans for £2.00.

It's fucking outrageous. They'll spend millions on an advertising campaign but they won't pay more than 1 rupee to the poor sods who turn out each pair.

Shameful.
marksi

nodnirG kraM wrote:Can only hope really that such items are loss-leaders. Such as the Tesco Value toasters I saw yesterday for £2.47. How the hell is it possible to make a toaster that can be sold for £2.47?? Please tell me Mr Tesco is making no direct profit from their sales!
*Novelty item only. Does not toast bread. Do not connect to mains voltage. Danger of death. Keep off.
Stuart*
Banned

nodnirG kraM wrote:Can only hope really that such items are loss-leaders. Such as the Tesco Value toasters I saw yesterday for £2.47. How the hell is it possible to make a toaster that can be sold for £2.47?? Please tell me Mr Tesco is making no direct profit from their sales!
I noticed that they now have Value-branded 'Toasted Sandwich Makers' for £4.99. It would be hardly worth cleaning the melted cheese from them...just buy another one the following week!

As for Primark, I've only been in the one in Plymouth once, a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a new casual jacket to replace my fleece. Everything, regardless of label, seemed to be made for age 11-15 when I tried it on (unless I was loitering in the wrong department). I resorted to my trusted M&S and found exactly what I wanted. Fortunately they had a sale on too.
User removed
Pete

oh actually, tesco's cheap toasters have a nasty habit of not being big enough to fit crumpets in. but that aside, this is a dedicated cheap clothes thread, shame on you nignoG.

Has anyone watched that blood sweat and t shirts on BBC3? I've been watching it and aside from the obvious horrors of the shit they get paid, it's quite interesting to see how obsessed they are with quality control at the factories, you couldn't think it given some of the stuff in those shops.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Lorns

I shop at Matalan and Primark sometimes. It is total crap but it doesn't hurt when a neat little £2 vest top or 3 for £5 becomes an old rag after 2-3 washes. It lasts longer as a dipstick rag than fashion wear.

Some of Tescos clothes are actually quite nice. I got some nice leather boots for £20 bout 6mnths ago just been reheeled once. They are due for another visit to Timpsons. I don't like their jeans but their size 10 tops are quite nice and roomy for the bust and tapered well for the waist, instead of a horible square shape.
Sainsburys are terrible, they size me at at a 12. I would like to oneday be able to shop and a size 10 is the same in every shop.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Thames

marksi wrote: I'm sure I've said this before on here, but the correct pronunciation of the store name is Pree-mark. Not Pry-mark. We have years of TV adverts to prove it.

Thank you, I always get told off for calling it preemark (must remember the jingle from my summers spent in N Ireland!)

I love Burtons at the moment, especially when there is a sale on, it's not worth going into the cheap shop then, although I did have a nice £50 voucher for Burtons last week which I spent ages getting the best value for!

Primark stores are what put me off, they always seem to be a glorified jumble sale with clothes just chucked everywhere even the floor, mind you the other half always drags me round! :roll:
marksi

Prompted by this thread I was just thinking that my main memory of Preemark was that it was the place people went to buy cheap things at Christmas for the relatives they didn't like.

They had a whole lot of things for Christmas. A lot for the faaaammmilllleeeeeeeeee.

You Tube is shit. Thousands of videos of people putting mints into Diet Coke and not a single one of the Primark Christmas advert from the 1980s. Pah.

#hums#
Nick Harvey
God

marksi wrote:my main memory of Preemark was that it was the place people went to buy cheap things at Christmas for the relatives they didn't like.
Oh shit!

'Er indoors buys me Christmas presents at Matalan!