This will be interesting...

The forum discussing radio
Col

The death of a popular radio presenter has been announced. Now, I never listened to anything Humphrey Lyttleton presented, but I acknowledge he had a fanbase, and at the age of 84, he did have good innings.

However, it's turned a hypothetical situation into one that probably needs further clarification: if those who wish to pay tribute to the broadcaster wish to do so on this forum, does the mod (or do the mods) find this acceptable and reasonable? And will this decision apply to any future deaths of radio broadcaster, either well-known on a national network, or a small-time jock on a rural community station?

I notice swift action has been taken on the other side to prevent another death thread getting up peoples' backs...
Nini
Banned

I'd say no just out of the fact that whilst it's a radio personality and there's a distinct lack of nok32uk to brown-nose the recently shuffled it's still not required to have an obit thread as it will very much inevitably be dragged off-topic with an impromptu game of Mornington Crescent or some other third thing.
Nick Harvey
God

You give me little choice but to play "Fulham Broadway" at this point.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Comments on Humphrey Lyttleton are welcome here - although "RIP" messages are needless and unwelcome - unless Mr Lyttleton has found a way to log on.
Pete

I go with what him above me said. So long as nok32uk and his lackeys don't appear with "rip humph, a great loss to radio he will be sadly missed" I'm not concerned in the slightest.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nini
Banned

So, nobody else interested in playing a little Mornington Crescent in his memory? Too bad I can't play, my knowledge of the London Underground is patchy.
Col

I only tend to comment on a broadcaster's death if I was familiar with them, and if I felt they did a good job at what they did and that I was saddened at their loss.

So far, I've only felt that way about three radio presenters who have died in recent years: Tommy Vance, Alan Freeman and, my personal hero, John Peel. There are fewer television broadcasters who have died in recent years who I've felt moved enough to comment on their death, even if it's a "ding dong, the witch is dead" comment.

Cheers Nick, Gavin and Hyma for clarifying the situation.
Bail

Whilst I've heard or known him for his Jazz I was/am a HUGE fan of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and he will be sadly missed. I also suspect it will mean the death of ISIHAC too as Humph made the show what it is.

The antidote to panel games. Still, he had a good innings...

Assuming we're using the standard rules of Mornington Crescent, I start at London Waterloo.
Steve in Pudsey

Nini wrote:So, nobody else interested in playing a little Mornington Crescent in his memory? Too bad I can't play, my knowledge of the London Underground is patchy.
Invoke Trumpington's Variation and the whole of the UK rail network is available.
all new Phil

*WHOOSH*

That was the sound of all this talk going right over my head. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Nick Harvey
God

Steve in Pudsey wrote:Invoke Trumpington's Variation and the whole of the UK rail network is available.
Oh yes, the Baroness herself.

In that case I shall have to play "Heath Halt Low Level".
all new Phil wrote:Anyone care to enlighten me?
You need to read the detailed rules of Mornington Crescent, available on all good websites, see Mr G Oogle's site for further details.

It's a sort-of radio version of "The Random Thread", but with Underground station names, except when the above variation has been invoked, as explained.

I also, in my youth, used to play the little known "Business Variation", where such locations as "Photocopier", "Gent's Toilet" and "The Boss's Office" could also be included.