Radio 2

The forum discussing radio
Nick Harvey
God

Jamez wrote:Keep listening to that frequency, Nick. You never know who will pop up!
Ah, but I never listen between 2pm and 4pm, that's if you even get it!
Spencer For Hire

I know he has the biggest radio audience in Europe, but I just don't 'get' Wogan. I don't see the appeal. The whole programme sounds smug, twee and 'in' to me. It seems to consist primarily of reading out letters from buffoons with, ho-ho-ho, wacky names. And as for those inane, schoolboy innuendo filled Janet And John letters (or whatever they're called), I just find them excruciatingly awful.

Having said that, I'd rather listen to Wig-on than Steve 'Ego' Wright with his constant sickly self-congratulation. Love the show, I don't.

Radcliffe and Maconie are rather good though.
DVB Cornwall

Spencer For Hire wrote:I know he has the biggest radio audience in Europe, but I just don't 'get' Wogan. I don't see the appeal. The whole programme sounds smug, twee and 'in' to me. It seems to consist primarily of reading out letters from buffoons with, ho-ho-ho, wacky names. And as for those inane, schoolboy innuendo filled Janet And John letters (or whatever they're called), I just find them excruciatingly awful.
You don't see the appeal.... The appeal is specifically what you describe. A chance to escape reality have a giggle and rasie a smile.
marksi

Did someone mention Richard Allinson? The radio equivalent of beige.

Sarah Kennedy. Cats. Horses. Beloved. Mental. Has crashed every news jingle in 10 years. Send her to Radio Jam and Jerusalem, or Radio Berkshire, whatever's handiest.

Jeremy Vine. Too Daily Mail for my liking. Crappy and crass song links to stories that he thinks are clever.

Always liked Simon Mayo but wouldn't want him to leave 5 Live.

There's something comforting about the fact that Steve Wright is still doing the same show he was doing 25 years ago though I'd quite like someone to remove all recording facilites from him. Then he couldn't badly edit every pause and breath out of interviews.

Not a Chris Evans fan. Do like Stuart Maconie though. Wogan's just legendary.

Russell Brand. Wrong. Mark Lammarr. Wrong.

There was a programme in the comedy hour on Saturday lunchtimes a while back by Vic Reeves. It was shit.
barcode

I hear, Steve wright is away on hoilday, who is that covering for him along with emma.....

also I wish there would bring back russ abbot radio 2 show.

Where has the worst week, of the week adward gone?
barcode

nice to hear Steve wright back, especial when I was getting my filling at the densit.
Spencer For Hire

barcode wrote:nice to hear Steve wright back, especial when I was getting my filling at the densit.
Funny you should say that. I find Steve Wright similarly as enjoyable as having root canal work. ;)
barcode

Radio 2 must be doing something right, there are the most listen to radio station in the UK
Spencer For Hire

barcode wrote:Radio 2 must be doing something right, there are the most listen to radio station in the UK

The thing I like about Radio 2 is that they completely go against all the modern accepted rules as to how you should programme music radio, and then totally clean up every Rajar.

In so doing, they prove, time and time again, that all the nonsense about programming for a 20 minute listen, no links longer than a minute, high rotation playlists, etc., etc. is complete bollocks.

I don't understand why no-one in commercial radio has spotted this.
barcode

I believe Real radio have, done this there talk and music and also there play alot of songs not a much as radio 2 but there do have longer turn over of songs
Spencer For Hire

barcode wrote:I believe Real radio have, done this there talk and music and also there play alot of songs not a much as radio 2 but there do have longer turn over of songs
Real still sounds pretty formatted to me, but I'd agree it's not as bad as some stations.