Radio 2

The forum discussing radio
Col

Had the misfortune to put up with listening to Steve Wright at work earlier.

Calling Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl" the "eppy-TOME" [sic] of 80s music made me want to bash the radio into tiny little pieces. Playing a nasty record by the Osmonds and admitting he used to make up dance routines provoked a similar reaction. Cracking a joke that Bryan Adams is still number one 19 years later (17, but close enough) too. He even thinks Russell Brand's show is "a great show, that" - another thirty seconds that made me want to string up Lesley Douglas for inflicting idiotic, egotistical twats on the nation's airwaves. And what is the deal with those horrible, dated jingles?

He also admitted the interview/butt-kissing he did with Simon Cowell, like most of his dull, anachronistic three hours was pre-recorded, which is a first for him.
all new Phil

Does he still refer to it as "The Big Show"?
barcode

all new Phil wrote:Does he still refer to it as "The Big Show"?
Yes
James H

I love it when Sarah Kennedy's away. The woman's constantly ill or on holiday - I find Alex Lester a very gentle and light-hearted way into the morning, then put Wogan on for a bit more jollity. Sometimes the Janet and Johns have me doubled up.

Ken Bruce is great fun, and I love his wicked sense of humour (a possible to take over from Wogan at Eurovision, if someone were to move into his slot in the radio commentary). Can't STAND Vine, think he shouts too much and sensationalises everything. Also find him very patronising and generally just a complete wankface.

Mum loves Steve Wright, but I don't get him. Everything in his show seems very heavily scripted and almost pre-recorded, and I hate how he's still relying on the old gags (Old Woman, Milo the lisping web freak, Ask Elvis - though admittedly that is sometimes rather funny - and that godawful quiz). Evans is a good show - I quite like the perceived wackiness of it, and I do like him on that slot.

Couldn't stand "EP", thought she ruined her show when she opened her mouth to speak, and that annoying laugh - ugh. Dale Winton's still fun, as is Dermot O'Leary. Also admit to a little affection for the David Jacobs Collection! Hello there....
barcode

Is the "BIG" Quiz even still going?
Spencer For Hire

James H wrote:Mum loves Steve Wright, but I don't get him. Everything in his show seems very heavily scripted and almost pre-recorded
That'll be because most of it is pre-recorded. I've not listened for a while, but he used to have a nasty habit of editing people's breaths out of interviews which made them sound very un-natural.
Nick Harvey
God

Spencer For Hire wrote:he used to have a nasty habit of editing people's breaths out of interviews which made them sound very un-natural.
Oh, the joys of proper editing, with sticky tape and a razor blade. The days when crafty editors always had a bulldog clip, labelled "spare breaths", hanging on a hook on the wall, with various lengths of tape festooned from it, just ready to pop back in if you tightened something up a bit too much.

We must now have a whole generation of extremely professional sound editors who wouldn't know an editing block if one fell on their heads.

Like thatching, it's an art we must pass on to our children.
barcode

eamon holmes is filling in all week for mr vine, I just do not like him doing this type of work
Pete

barcode wrote:eamon holmes is filling in all week for mr vine, I just do not like him doing this type of work
what? news?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
barcode

Jeremy vine is on holiday all week, BBC have got eamon holmes of all people to fill in for him
Jovis

barcode wrote:Jeremy vine is on holiday all week, BBC have got eamon holmes of all people to fill in for him
Yes, we can read.