Carbon Neutral Metropol

Pete

in light of plymouthface's post in the thread on the other place, I was wondering how environmentally conscious metropollers are.

I certainly try quite hard to be good.

All my lightbulbs are energy efficent and get turned off when not in use, buy organic veg, I recycle paper, glass, card and cans, despite only having doorstep facilities for the first, plus I try to drive economically and resist the urge to drive small distances and accelerate too fast.

What of the rest of you? I imagine Ison being one of those types who eats from bins to try and save the world.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

Organic veg, logically, is going to be less carbon-nice since you get less out for the effort you put in!
Knight knight
Pete

Sput wrote:Organic veg, logically, is going to be less carbon-nice since you get less out for the effort you put in!
don't be awkward. although at the same time, surely you need less chemical factories and the like?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

I suspect still it's less carbon per gram of chemically enriched carrotty goodness
Knight knight
barcode

I don;t give a rats arse!

I think ( I go along with Ch4 doc " Great Globlc warming scam") it all think, of course my house has Energy light bulb but that's just to save money!

of course we have blue bin for paper and card broad, If we did not do this our black bin would be to full every 2 weeks
ashley b

Oh they really help us round here, they provide us with a black box with no lid and a blue bag. In todays wind, the road was littered with boxes and bags. And as I live in a block of flats, we aren't provided with one. Although we are provided with a wheelie bin for Garden waste. Just a pitty we don't have a garden.
*whistle*
all new Phil

I think if our house was provided with a range of high quality wheelie-type-bins, in different colours for different items, we would be more inclined to properly dispose of our waste. Unfortunately, we have cheap plastic boxes with lids that blow off in the wind, which therefore have to be stored indoors, cluttering up our hallway as there isn't really anywhere better for them to go. Like most people, I would love to do my bit by recycling what I can, but the tools which we are given to do so are inadequate.
Nick Harvey
God

Hymagumba wrote:All my lightbulbs are energy efficent and get turned off when not in use.
I have always been under the impression that low energy lightbulbs are, actually, small flourescent lamps.

I've also always been under the impression that a flourescent lamp uses as much energy to start up as it does in between one-and-a-half and two hours of normal operation.

I have, therefore, always assumed that it is a waste of energy to switch off a low energy lightbulb if you are likely to switch it back on again in the next one-and-a-half hours.

Would our local, useless science correspondent please care to comment on the accuracy, or otherwise, of the above statements?
Sput

I'll get back to you nick!

Actually, wait, I worked that out a while ago and it's pure bollocks.

Am I local and useless, or local with useless science though?
Knight knight
chinajan

I'm a sceptic about global warming - I do think it's a natural phase we've entered. And I certainly shan't be 'offsetting my carbon footprint'. Another money making racket. However, money is being made from green initiatives, which drives economies and growth, which creates jobs, which makes nations wealthier....I approve for that reason even though, as always, those at the top will take the cream.

That's what it's all about. Imho.
barcode

what about all the poor Counties?, there can;t afford this High Green technology, but the coal thing there can but yuo Dam Green peace people are stopping the people counties get richer shame on you You GREENES! :evil: