Have you got your Christmas decorations up yet?

Jamez
Banned

One family in south Wales has already put their Christmas decorations up, nearly three months before the big day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7030376.stm

I didn't bother with any decorations in my place last year, apart from some christmas lights around the window and a few cards dotted around my lounge. My folks usually put the decorations up on the third Saturday in December, which this year will be on 13 December. I think that's early enough.

My gran used to put hers up just after bonfire night, which I always thought was a bit silly.

I've noticed that the supermarkets are already selling tinsel, baubles, artificial trees and wrapping paper! Crazy! All this fuss for one day and one day in which most people either don't know the true meaning of or don't actually believe the story of Christ.
User Removed
Jenny

Jamez wrote:One family in south Wales has already put their Christmas decorations up, nearly three months before the big day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7030376.stm
"News", there. They'll report any old publicity-seeking toss, won't they? Look at me, I'm eating pancakes and it's not even a Tuesday!
Jovis

Jamez wrote:Have you got your Christmas decorations up yet?
Surprisingly not.
rts

Bloody hell this is depressing. Was in WH Smiths today and my heart sank when I saw the Christmas cards. Incidentally was standing there when I got a text from a chum in the Labour party about the election, swore a few times which got me a few looks from concerned parents, before dashing to the car to get infront of the telly. Sad twat.

There's a chap in America who celebrates Crimbo everyday, full meal, all the works, etc. Really does spoil the whole fun, sparkle and magic of the season. IIRC, theres laws in place in Germany to pretty much ban anything Christmassy until December, then go OTT, which I think really helps get a more united feel good Christmas vibe.
Nick Harvey
God

I can understand the Christmas cards.

The way these postal strikes are going at the moment, we'll have to post the cards by next Wednesday to get them there in time.

By the way, never being one to miss a damn good opportunity!
Nick Harvey
God

So, just as a aside, who was it at the University of Wales who took that link, above, a few minutes ago?

I'm intrigued, just because that centre of excellence for geography, amongst other things, is registered with its ISP as being at Aberystwyth in Carmarthenshire!
Jamez
Banned

Nick Harvey wrote:So, just as a aside, who was it at the University of Wales who took that link, above, a few minutes ago?

I'm intrigued, just because that centre of excellence for geography, amongst other things, is registered with its ISP as being at Aberystwyth in Carmarthenshire!
Hmm, well the server might be be in Carmarthenshire, but the University is most definitely in the depressing, cut-off, badly planned and Welsh town of Aberystwyth.
User Removed
Nick Harvey
God

Haven't been to Aberystwyth since somewhen in the early seventies.

Had to take a load of (previous) family up for the passing out parade, or whatever it's called when they get their caps, gowns and certificates.

It was the previous 'er indoors' cousin and her boyfriend of the time who were passing out. She's now in Southampton and he's in New Zealand, both with other spouses.

How time flies.

There, you were all desperate to know that, weren't you?
Jovis

Nick Harvey wrote:There, you were all desperate to know that, weren't you?
I was absolutely crapping myself waiting to.
james2001

Our local pub which has just opened has Xmas decorations all over the place. It's to promote and encourage people to book their Christmas dinners, but it just feels way too early.
nwtv2003

james2001 wrote:Our local pub which has just opened has Xmas decorations all over the place. It's to promote and encourage people to book their Christmas dinners, but it just feels way too early.
It's usually the norm these days to have at least one bit of Christmas decoration up, to promote Parties and dinners. Chicago Rock Café seems to have a small Christmas tree up by early September to flog some parties.

Manchester's Trafford Centre tend to have their Christmas decorations up and running in Late October, where as here in Warrington it tends to be late November these days.
steve