Another High Street Rebrand

WillPS

NiKepp wrote: Sat 23 Dec, 2023 20.43 With more of their big stores closing and Smiths only being interested in the small airport and train station outlets now, maybe the rebrand makes sense. They'll need the shorter name just to fit it on all those much smaller unit signs.
I don't think this is a real problem they have. The limiting factor is usually height, not width.

To add to the list of problems - I don't understand the logic in a stacked logo with a small WH and a big S if the name is just WHS now?
NiKepp

WillPS wrote: Sat 23 Dec, 2023 21.14 To add to the list of problems - I don't understand the logic in a stacked logo with a small WH and a big S if the name is just WHS now?
Perhaps a separate experiment for a future rebrand of the remaining bigger stores as 'Big S'? Someone really wanted to use the name 'Big W' but found it had already been used by a previous successful retail chain!
I'm on the David Lees Honor Roll!
WillPS

NiKepp wrote: Sun 24 Dec, 2023 09.12
WillPS wrote: Sat 23 Dec, 2023 21.14 To add to the list of problems - I don't understand the logic in a stacked logo with a small WH and a big S if the name is just WHS now?
Perhaps a separate experiment for a future rebrand of the remaining bigger stores as 'Big S'? Someone really wanted to use the name 'Big W' but found it had already been used by a previous successful retail chain!
I think it's more likely they just like-for-like replaced the present stacked WHS logo (which makes sense because it emphasises the 'Smiths' part), either not considering or not caring for the fact it makes little sense now given the name has changed.

Here's a thought - given all the locations to change so far are high street ones, could they finally be preparing to separate the profitable travel chain off, keeping the 'Smith' brand for it? Are we about to see the new "WHS" business 'sold' for a tenner to an unscrupulous chancer ala BHS?
JAS84

Everyone calls it Smiths, so changing to WHS seems daft. What nobody on either tweet chain has suggested despite that coming up, though, it that maybe they can't just call it just Smiths, because of Smyths Toys. Maybe they should've adopted a logo with a similar layout to the old BBC One branding. A small superscript WH followed by a larger SMITH.
Sunshine

Surely they'll end up quietly pulling this rebrand? It's been universally panned. I'd also like the old cube to come back tbh.
Blewatter

Having never seen the old cube ligo before...yeah, just needs to remove the brown and you're golden. This is a much cooler logo
https://blog.whsmith.co.uk/a-step-back- ... -logo-225/
Philip

Several old packaging designs for Dairy Milk are coming back for a limited time in honour of Cadbury's 200th anniversary. Just in case you walk into the corner shop and think you've entered a timewarp...

https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/bran ... airy-milk/
WillPS

Philip wrote: Tue 09 Jan, 2024 15.17 Several old packaging designs for Dairy Milk are coming back for a limited time in honour of Cadbury's 200th anniversary. Just in case you walk into the corner shop and think you've entered a timewarp...

https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/bran ... airy-milk/
I feel as though this happens every 5/10 years.
bilky asko

I think it's the first time they've brought back such a recent era with these retro editions
Philip

Yep. 2003 is retro now!
james2001

bilky asko wrote: Tue 09 Jan, 2024 17.33 I think it's the first time they've brought back such a recent era with these retro editions
I bought a retro 1990 wrapper back in 2006- that was more recent then than 2003 is now, however scary that seems.