Another High Street Rebrand

WillPS

It really does my head in. The Cantor family recently donated a few million to the University also, so what does the University do? Spend a good chunk of that on new signage to rename a building (which itself only opened 3 years ago) after them. A new building opens in the next 18 months - would it not have been an idea to name that building after them?

Even if not spending that would only take £20 off everybody's tuition fees, it's worth it.
wells

tillyoshea wrote: So, presumably, the most important thing to students and staff was "it's near Manchester"...
Sounds about right.
Andrew

WillPS wrote:Going back to University's rebranding unnecessarily - my university, Sheffield Hallam, has begun it's second rebrand inside of a decade.

Early 00s:

Mid 00s:

So they've spent another god knows how much of tuition fee revenue on getting a graphic designer to copy The Guardian. Brilliant.

I now face having to either use an outdated logo on my work or breaking the rigid consistency of my presentation for a new, bland, logo. Was it really necessary to dispose of the Hallam crest?
Have they actually changed all the signage or does everything 'physical' still carry the early 00s font type?
WillPS

Andrew wrote:
WillPS wrote:Going back to University's rebranding unnecessarily - my university, Sheffield Hallam, has begun it's second rebrand inside of a decade.

Early 00s:

Mid 00s:

So they've spent another god knows how much of tuition fee revenue on getting a graphic designer to copy The Guardian. Brilliant.

I now face having to either use an outdated logo on my work or breaking the rigid consistency of my presentation for a new, bland, logo. Was it really necessary to dispose of the Hallam crest?
Have they actually changed all the signage or does everything 'physical' still carry the early 00s font type?
I'd say it's about 70% sans-serif and the rest with the old logo. Some of the most prominent signage still carry the old logo so it's quite hard to estimate accurately. The 2012 logo now appears above the main entrance, so now you can stand in Hallam square and see all 3 logos stuck on different parts of the building.

I really think there wasn't much wrong with the previous logo - it was certainly a lot more versatile than the incoming one.
woah

And still, the University of Sheffield's branding is much better. A nice blend of traditional and modern.
Sput

I think it's funny how graphic designers jump on the same bandwagons.

Looks like we're finally moving away from "all lower case letters in a sans-serif font, no logo" and now everybody's doing "bold serif font and 2 complimentary pantone colours, no logo".

The Sheffield Hallam logo is ludicrous, but the Salford one really does win the prize for spunking money up the wall. Who signed off £132,000 to a London agency when it could have been done in-house. And another £21,000 for a physical sign to stick on the wall?

What a joke.
MENTAL isn't it. It's almost like design and fashion are somehow linked!
Knight knight
ali.james

It's laughable. As if a fashionable logo will make Sheffield Hallam anything other than what it is : a subpar 'university'.
bilky asko

This is why I like The University of Hull's logo:
Not only is it not solely text, but I don't think they've put it on any buildings - so any rebrand would mean that only printed stuff would have to be updated.
wells

As I posted yesterday in the wrong thread.

GMG's Real Radio
From
to
http://www.realradionorthwest.co.uk/

It's only the North West website with that logo, as of yet.

Perhaps getting rid of quotation mark, reflects how much of the speech content on these stations has disappeared so far.
Alexia

Real Radio Wales still has the nightly phone in, and Ryan Seacrest's usual twaddle is mostly him filling his ego by talking about his "showbiz inside knowledge", plus there's the morning music quiz Pop The Question too (which is in no way related to Popmaster).
WillPS

ali.james wrote:It's laughable. As if a fashionable logo will make Sheffield Hallam anything other than what it is : a subpar 'university'.
Depends what you want from a university. When I looked for somewhere to study a web computing discipline there were only a handful of institutions offering such courses, and less still offering sandwich courses. Off the top of my head, one was Nottingham Trent, who I discounted immediately because I wanted to leave Nottingham; University of Wales Aberystwyth who I visited but found the facilities to be massively outdated and lecturers without a clear message to give me about the course they were offering and a couple of other random former polytechnics.

Sheffield Hallam had modern facilities (including a building which opened the month I started), charismatic but focussed lecturers and, most importantly for me, they offer a clear path toward the end-goal which is employability. I didn't go to university to get letters after my name - I went to university to get a professional level of understanding in an area I had long held an interest.

For my mind, the renaming of polytechnics to universities was a mistake - they are good at different things and I think positioning one as the other has just made it appear weaker.

I'd be interested to know what you're basing your "subpar" conclusion on.