Another High Street Rebrand

bilky asko

I have used Uber Eats twice (it's new-ish to my area). The scores on the rating system seem to be accurate - the first driver was very quick and found the address instantly. The second driver was more leisurely and had trouble finding the address. Both were very pleasant drivers though, and it's not too different an experience really.

I have probably said this before, but Hermes / Evri in my area have always been pretty good. Yodel are the ones to watch out for up my end.
JAS84

james2001 wrote: Mon 14 Mar, 2022 21.18 On a related note, I was at my sister's over the weekend and we ordered a McDonalds from Uber Eats, and clearly their drivers are as incompetent as Yodel and Hermes. He kept phoning wanting to know where the house was, even though we'd given him the postcode, and looking at the tracker, he got close to the house, but then ended up going in the opposite direction and ended up in another village miles away. We're really not sure how he managed to do that- surely he must have had a satnav? In the end he stopped answering his phone when she tried to ring back and the food never showed up (and even if it had, it would have been stone cold by that point anyway).
I wonder if the driver LIVED in that village - they'd given up and just took the grub for themselves?

Anyway, I hope you got a refund.
james2001

Happened again today with Evri- the courier just rang the doorbell, left the package outside the front door and buggered off (I guess at least they rang the doorbell this time rather than just tapped the front door, so we at least got a notification to the phone). We weren't even at home, and we got a ring notification that someone had rung the doorbell- by the time we opened the app to talk to who was at the door, they were long gone. The package was left in front of the front door for over an hour until we were actually able to get home, thankfully it didn't rain or get stolen. For all they know we could have been away from home for several days with the package just left there to the elements or a passing thief to pick up.

They wanted "feedback" on how the delivery went, so I gave it them. Not that it will make the slightest bit of difference. Even if that driver gets reprimanded there's plenty more who are just as incompetent. I wish we were given the option of paying more to get a reputable company, Hermes/Evri and Yodel might be cheap, but they're fucking terrible, you're taking a gamble on whether your package will be left outside, shoved in a bin on collection day, or never even turn up at all when they're used. The concept of waiting to see if people are actally in, leaving things in a "safe place" or with neighbours seems to be a lost art, especially since covid stopped drivers from physically handing over packages- that's when the "ring the doorbell and bugger off" thing seemed to start.
Alexia

The response by the usual half-brains to today's P&O Ferries news is firstly that they're all cancelling their (non-existant) cruises with P&O Cruises, a completely different company, and also that P&O Cruises should immediately change their name/branding to avoid confusing reactionary tweet-jits in future.
WillPS

Alexia wrote: Fri 18 Mar, 2022 03.21 The response by the usual half-brains to today's P&O Ferries news is firstly that they're all cancelling their (non-existant) cruises with P&O Cruises, a completely different company, and also that P&O Cruises should immediately change their name/branding to avoid confusing reactionary tweet-jits in future.
I mean it's a fair assumption isn't it?
Alexia

No doubt they were writing letters to the World Wide Fund for Nature in the 90s to complain about wrestling matches.
WillPS

Alexia wrote: Fri 18 Mar, 2022 20.28 No doubt they were writing letters to the World Wide Fund for Nature in the 90s to complain about wrestling matches.
Yes, that'd make sense if the World Wrestling Federation were primarily concerned with a world-wide charitable activity and the reason they used the same name was because they were for most of their history divisions of the same company.

Perhaps you could try Hewlett Packard/HP for a more apt analogy.
JAS84

If P&O Cruises and P&O Ferries used to be the same company but now aren't (and looking it up, it was sold off over 20 years ago), then yes, P&O Cruises probably should rebrand to avoid association with P&O Ferries.
thegeek

Why should P&O Cruises change? P&O Ferries are the ones that suck.
Critique

On a similar theme, I seem to remember a news story a few years back about shares in Tate & Lyle plummeting over the newly-announced sugar tax. That is, until investors remembered that Tate & Lyle had sold their sugar refining business some years earlier, but the new owners had bought the right to keep using the brand name...
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Sat 19 Mar, 2022 06.36 Why should P&O Cruises change? P&O Ferries are the ones that suck.
P&O Cruises aren't good either tho. Their crew are not paid a living wage.