Another High Street Rebrand

Jonny

thegeek wrote: Fri 16 Sep, 2022 23.09
Joe wrote: Fri 24 Sep, 2021 20.40 I’ve noticed that John Lewis and Waitrose don’t always verbally include the ‘and Partners’ bit in their advertising. Maybe there are valid reasons for not doing so, but if they’re not going to use their ‘full name’, nobody else will.
I've definitely noticed a softening on this. Their email about being closed for the Queen's funeral referred twice to 'Waitrose stores'. I feel like a year or two ago they'd have gone out of their way to call them 'Waitrose & Partners stores'.
I thought something looked different about their new advert - just a plain "John Lewis" wordmark at the end, no "& Partners" nor the barcode logo design.

That rebrand was such a retrograde step. It resulted in two unwieldy brand names that would inevitably be shortened and wordmarks that are much less distinctive.
Pete

Jonny wrote: Sat 17 Sep, 2022 23.38 That rebrand was such a retrograde step. It resulted in two unwieldy brand names that would inevitably be shortened and wordmarks that are much less distinctive.
Yup, the original wordmarks were so distinct with that sharp point on the J and L. Some of the brand elements around it could have done with some freshening but honestly don't know what they were thinking with the new logos.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Blewatter

Whataday wrote: Wed 07 Sep, 2022 13.06 HMV is currently rebranding as The HMV Shop.

The Cardiff branch has been closed for several weeks for a refurb.
Ask me 5 years ago if I thought HMV would go down this route, I'd have said 'They'll probably be closed before the end of next year'. Turns out I was wrong. That said, I am glad about being wrong. I love HMV, and the fact its diversifying its product range from pure media to pop culture makes a lot of sense, since the two are so linked.
Martin Phillp

Sunrise Records have clearly given HMV a new lease of life by using the same formula that has worked in Canada by adding more than just physical media to the shops, although I admire how they've also been championing vinyl in addition to more pop culture products.

They haven't been quick to add a large store in the West End either, Fopp in Covent Garden is still their main outlet while launching larger stores outside the M25. A sensible strategy.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Blewatter wrote: Wed 21 Sep, 2022 20.24
Whataday wrote: Wed 07 Sep, 2022 13.06 HMV is currently rebranding as The HMV Shop.

The Cardiff branch has been closed for several weeks for a refurb.
Ask me 5 years ago if I thought HMV would go down this route, I'd have said 'They'll probably be closed before the end of next year'. Turns out I was wrong. That said, I am glad about being wrong. I love HMV, and the fact its diversifying its product range from pure media to pop culture makes a lot of sense, since the two are so linked.
Just seems to sell a load of old tat if you ask me. I can’t see it surviving long term, it just doesn’t seem to have anywhere near enough of things being sold.
WillPS

HMV was always the blandest of the entertainment store chains.
thegeek

WillPS wrote: Thu 22 Sep, 2022 01.21 HMV was always the blandest of the entertainment store chains.
...and yet it's the only one clinging on.
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Thu 22 Sep, 2022 06.40
WillPS wrote: Thu 22 Sep, 2022 01.21 HMV was always the blandest of the entertainment store chains.
...and yet it's the only one clinging on.
Yepp. Although that probably has more to do with Woolworths collapsing and wiping out all their competitors in the process...
Blewatter

all new Phil wrote: Thu 22 Sep, 2022 00.33 Just seems to sell a load of old tat if you ask me. I can’t see it surviving long term, it just doesn’t seem to have anywhere near enough of things being sold.
Objectively, yes it is. I don't particularly understand why they choose to sell plushies and anime figures, but it has its audience. I know, because I was one of those types when I was a teen. But it gets kids in, and it gets teens in.
Martin Phillp

HMV is going back into the record business by launching 1921 Records.

https://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/ne ... ack-roots/
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

Pete wrote: Sun 18 Sep, 2022 11.05
Jonny wrote: Sat 17 Sep, 2022 23.38 That rebrand was such a retrograde step. It resulted in two unwieldy brand names that would inevitably be shortened and wordmarks that are much less distinctive.
Yup, the original wordmarks were so distinct with that sharp point on the J and L. Some of the brand elements around it could have done with some freshening but honestly don't know what they were thinking with the new logos.
Just seen a new John Lewis advert without the "And partners" on the logo.

Honestly if they're not going to bother with it anymore they should just go back to the far superior previous logos.