Another High Street Rebrand

woah

Yes, the Burger King closed a good few months ago - and yes, I only ever went in twice and both times I had plenty of trouble from the staff. It sat derelict for a while with the chairs and serving area still there but it seems they've taken all that out now and painted it white with bare concrete floor, ready for a new shop to take it's place.
WillPS

I have to say, for a BK I found the staff pretty okay... the place however was a dive, the seating upstairs had clearly been there since the 80s.

I once had to walk out of the BK in the railway station after the manageress humiliated a member of staff in front of me and a lunchtime crowd. Bitch.
rdobbie

Here in East Cheshire, Burger King seem to have pulled the plug on all their "normal" outlets; the only remaining ones within quite a large radius of me are at motorway service stations, which charge ridiculous prices (amazingly it's cheaper to have a knife-and-fork meal, like roast chicken or steak pie with chips and peas, in the EDC restaurant at Stafford northbound services, than a regular BK meal at the same services).

There was a purpose built BK on the edge of the Lyme Green Retail Park in Macclesfield which opened in 2003 but closed down a few years ago and has stayed boarded up ever since (Street View). It's always amazed me that it wasn't deemed profitable, and that nobody has since taken it over (it would make an ideal Subway, for example) as there's nowhere else to get food at that end of town, and a lot of demand generated by all the shops and car dealerships, not to mention the football stadium next door.
WillPS

There's something fascinating about shuttered purpose-built American Fast Food outlets. The only one I can bring to mind that I've seen (in Britain) is the McDonalds which was shaped like a space ship by the A1 near Peterborough. Now that was something special!

They occupy the same portion of my fascination addled mind as Dead Malls.
woah

WillPS wrote:There's something fascinating about shuttered purpose-built American Fast Food outlets. The only one I can bring to mind that I've seen (in Britain) is the McDonalds which was shaped like a space ship by the A1 near Peterborough. Now that was something special!

They occupy the same portion of my fascination addled mind as Dead Malls.
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/ is a fantastic place to see some old, dead places if you haven't seen it already.
WillPS

Big fan of that site :)
rdobbie

WillPS wrote:There's something fascinating about shuttered purpose-built American Fast Food outlets. The only one I can bring to mind that I've seen (in Britain) is the McDonalds which was shaped like a space ship by the A1 near Peterborough. Now that was something special!
Really interesting, thanks, I never knew about that place. I also found this detailed article about the refit of the Megatron that McDonalds undertook. Shame there aren't any photos to accompany the story.
woah wrote:http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/ is a fantastic place to see some old, dead places if you haven't seen it already.
Indeed a great site. I just wish they'd concentrate more on closed down retail premises than on hospitals and factories, but presumably the former are more difficult to gain access to.
WillPS

rdobbie wrote:
Really interesting, thanks, I never knew about that place. I also found this detailed article about the refit of the Megatron that McDonalds undertook. Shame there aren't any photos to accompany the story.
Oooh great read. I went twice as a child, and I remember it being pretty standard-fare McDonalds inside, but obviously the novelty of it being a spaceship made it quite an event. It's a pitty they turned it in to just any McDonalds - as the author expresses the location was rubbish so it had to pull in custom from far around for birthday parties etc. With RAF Alconberry gone in the early-00s, there was no market for just any McDonalds.

The McDonalds outlets at Chessington and Alton Towers showed they could make the effort, just a pitty they didn't.
rdobbie wrote:
woah wrote:http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/ is a fantastic place to see some old, dead places if you haven't seen it already.
Indeed a great site. I just wish they'd concentrate more on closed down retail premises than on hospitals and factories, but presumably the former are more difficult to gain access to.
Agreed.
Malpass93

The Yankee Burger in Hull was quite a building when that existed, the big purple car on top of it looked so cool.
The New Malpass.
Alexia

This one slipped under my radar a bit:-

has changed to

Apologies for the small images but I didn't want to link to images hosted on Nazi websites.

It's strangely reminiscient of something....hmm.....

Gavin Scott
Admin

Old

New

Chief executive David Nish says: “Our business has changed substantially in the last 12 months and will continue to transform. We have refreshed our visual identity to provide a clear outward signal of our brand repositioning and the forward thinking approach we are taking to people’s long term savings needs.”
Hmm.