Another High Street Rebrand

JAS84

Could Woolworths be revived? The operator of the German Woolworth stores has the trademark for all of Europe and is considering opening stores in the UK.
https://www.retail-week.com/woolworth-interview
WillPS

Good luck to them, although German Woolies are a bit of a different beast to what UK customers were used to - I suppose closer to Home Bargains/B&M. Maybe that's what Woolies would be nowadays had they continued.
JetixFann450

I mean, with stuff like Very succeeding the online Woolworths brand, it makes me wonder if there really is space for another brand of great value retail spaces in the high street. Home Bargians and B&M as Will mentioned do feel like they take the mantle of what Woolworths left, and at a stretch I guess I could consider the Range this as well, but given that the German Woolworth seems more like a general home store, I wouldn't consider it a return to form as it is in name.

After all, it isn't Woolworths without Pick N' Mix.
Member of Pres Cafe who occasionally pops in and out.
all new Phil

I’m not convinced anyone actually bought pick n mix from Woolworths to be honest. It was just there.
Nick Harvey
God

all new Phil wrote: Mon 22 Jan, 2024 16.33 I’m not convinced anyone actually bought pick n mix from Woolworths to be honest. It was just there.
Sorry mate. I did.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Mon 22 Jan, 2024 16.33 I’m not convinced anyone actually bought pick n mix from Woolworths to be honest. It was just there.
You'd be lucky to get a look in for a scoop in Nottingham on Saturdays or during half term, the place was always full of kids filling up cups on their way to the cinema and whatnot. Wilko was the same for a time.

The whole parents feeding children sugar thing seems to be on the wane now. It's political correctness gone skinny.
Alexia

A lifetime of training in Woolies and Wilko could not prepare me for the Aladdin's cave that is 4-Gott in Göteborg.

Over there, lösgödis is a religion.
JAS84

WillPS wrote: Mon 22 Jan, 2024 23.17
You'd be lucky to get a look in for a scoop in Nottingham on Saturdays or during half term, the place was always full of kids filling up cups on their way to the cinema and whatnot. Wilko was the same for a time.

The whole parents feeding children sugar thing seems to be on the wane now. It's political correctness gone skinny.
Nah. The pandemic is what stopped that. And when that problem was just about over, Wilko bit the dust.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote: Wed 24 Jan, 2024 22.20
WillPS wrote: Mon 22 Jan, 2024 23.17

Nah. The pandemic is what stopped that. And when that problem was just about over, Wilko bit the dust.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. M&S and Asda have the "weigh your own cornflakes" section in their stores still active, so it's not as if there was no solution to that problem.
cdd

This reminds me that Jelly Belly used to have their own pick and mix concessions in Sainsbury's.

They disappeared, possibly because certain people kept putting premium jelly beans into the crappo pick and mix bags.
NiKepp

I like to think the people who say they miss being able to shop for Pick n' Mix the most whenever the latest high street chain goes bust are the same people who in every survey done say they want more high brow programming about culture and the arts, and less programming like Jeremy Kyle.

Of course what people say and what any of the actual figures show are very different!
I'm on the David Lees Honor Roll!