AOL and connection to the internet

Jamez
Banned

When I was at Uni, everyone had NTL.

Every student house you went into (and every house in the surrounding area was a student house!) had the familiar grey NTL box in the hallway or on the floor next to the bed. I think everyone chose NTL because of the ease of it - just plug the digital co-ax into the back and away you go. No need for a phoneline, no need for line tests and no BT line rental.

NTL also gave us all a discount because of the sheer number of students signing up to their service. In my last year of Uni, NTL gave me 4Mbit for £19.99 - I think it's even cheaper now.

If you live in a cabled area, you'd be mad not to make use of it. I'm still impressed by the fact you can get digital telly, phone and broadband all down one single co-ax cable!
Sput

Grey?! Keep up with the times jamez, they're translucent blue now! Just 8 years behind the iMac design :)
Knight knight
Jamez
Banned

Sput wrote:Grey?! Keep up with the times jamez, they're translucent blue now! Just 8 years behind the iMac design :)
They were still grey July when I was helping my mate move into her new house, I installed NTL for her and the box was grey with "ntl: Home Broadband" on the front!
Sput

What a difference a month makes, eh! :) I now feel proud.
Knight knight
Jamez
Banned

I've been doing a fair bit of work on the internet today, and the connection to Tiscali has dropped no less than 27 times since 9:05am.

Pathetic. It's never been this bad. The woman in India keeps promising me a new modem, but that's not going to solve anything because I'm using a Netgear wireless router which I know works perfectly. Tiscali's network is crap.
Lorns

You wanna try aol. Mine has logged off/ crashed no more than 10 times today.
Sput

I've never known a netgear router to work fine ;)
Knight knight
Jamez
Banned

Sput wrote:I've never known a netgear router to work fine ;)
Try Belkin. Then you'll be in for some connectivity fun(!)
cdd

Jamez wrote:
Oh, they are fun aren't they! from what i can see, belkin routers simply refuse to talk to macs.

Netgear are a heap of sh*t, same goes for Dlink - but at that point you either have to choose an unknown japanese brand or something, or take your chances with a big name.
cdd

Jamez wrote:
Oh, they are fun aren't they! from what i can see, belkin routers simply refuse to talk to macs.

Netgear are a heap of sh*t, same goes for Dlink - but at that point you either have to choose an unknown japanese brand or something, or take your chances with a big name.
Katnap

Has anybody else who is on NTL-now-Virgin found that their broadband connection has gone a bit crappy since Virgin took over?
What the fuck is a samoflange?