A question!

Lorns

I suppose i should ask this in TVF, but i don't know where to put it. So i thought i'd ask you lot as all the smart people post over here.

When the analogue switch off takes place and we all go digital, will we still have to pay the bbc tv license? If so, why?
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Dr Lobster*

yes, because the bbc will still exist and need funding.

you will still be able to get the bbc without paying an additional subscription (such as sky or cable).

bbc tv is a bit pants these days, but i'd pay my tv license to just listen to radio 4. (and i hope they leave it alone, too)
Stuart*
Banned

Unfortunately Miss Hellfire, although the Licence Fee does fund the BBC (and just that, for now), it's actually a licence for "TV receiving equipment".

Basically you could have a TV, but no ariel, satellite dish or cable and still need a licence if you just watched DVDs/Videos in the comfort of your own pad with Mr Hellfire. I'm not sure about portable DVD Players (although they are quite common now, ao will get roped into any new law).

It's a common misconception that "if you don't watch BBC, you don't need to pay". Furthermore, analogue switch-off will make no difference. Any form of video entertainment (including your PC with a TV Card/streaming capability, or mobile with 3G streaming for broadcasts) will require a TV Licence.

It's actually about time they changed the name. It does/will relate to the desire to charge for disemmination and reception of information and entertainment. But DRIE Tax is a bad name, I'm sure others can come up with better!!!!!!!!!! :D
antony

Just a related question, how much is the license fee you guys have to pay?
Antony from SillyDog701 | MacCentre701
AntBlog701, a very happy Mac user
MarkN

antony wrote:Just a related question, how much is the license fee you guys have to pay?
£131.50 for colour
£44.00 for black and white
antony

MarkN wrote:
antony wrote:Just a related question, how much is the license fee you guys have to pay?
£131.50 for colour
£44.00 for black and white
Per year per household or per TV set?
Spencer For Hire

StuartPlymouth wrote:I'm not sure about portable DVD Players (although they are quite common now, ao will get roped into any new law).
Unless they are capable of receiving broadcast TV transmissions, they are exempt. So it's basically anything with a tuner in it. A computer monitor for example doesn't require a TV licence, but if you've got a TV card in your PC, you will need one. Equally a video recorder or PVR requires a licence, even if you don't own a TV.
antony

that's expensive. Thanks for the information.
Nick Harvey
God

And colour goes up to £135.50 on April 1st, as well.
cdd

Are you allowed to buy a black-and-white licence if you watch TV with Saturation set to zero?
marksi

You cover up to ten receivers with one licence.

And no, turning down the colour does not mean you can pay the b&w rate.

It is of course marvellous value for money.