Wii

Reeves

As some of you may know, Nintendo's Wii (laugh away) was released last Friday, and has sold out everywhere... apparently.

A friend of mine visited Virgin Megastores last Saturday and was told all Wiis were sold out. Later, in the lift, he noticed the stock room full of Wiis. Whether these were reserved, I have no idea. Today, my brother had mentioned that he noticed Wiis on sale in Woolworths in Ormskirk, when the website says the console of out of stock. Explination, or are some shops taking the piss...

Also, does anyone know what Nintendo are "trying" to do to dispatch as many systems as possible before Xmas? I heard a statement from them saying they were trying to do this, although I'm sure I heard it wrong. Does anyone know what they meant?
Mich

Reeves wrote:Today, my brother had mentioned that he noticed Wiis on sale in Woolworths in Ormskirk, when the website says the console of out of stock. Explination, or are some shops taking the piss...
In many respects the shops really do benefit from having a room full of stock that they aren't attempting to sell, especially when it is an item in such demand.
MattM

I don't get that. I've worked in a shop for years and the idea of keeping stock in the stockroom defies the whole idealogy of running a shop. The main idea is to get the stock on the shop floor as soon as possible. The boxes your associates have seen will be either pre-order stock or dummy boxes.
Reeves

MattM wrote:I don't get that. I've worked in a shop for years and the idea of keeping stock in the stockroom defies the whole idealogy of running a shop. The main idea is to get the stock on the shop floor as soon as possible. The boxes your associates have seen will be either pre-order stock or dummy boxes.
They'd better be, or else I won't be very happy. I'm a keen gamer and I've been trying to get hold of one for my birthday a week on Friday. Five's The Gadget Show are offering a Wii and i've entered the Sly Active Wii competition a few times so hopefully I may still have a bit of luck trying to get hold of one.
Reeves

Just looking at Nintendo Europe's website http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/G ... AYbjpiw6FW
Even if you're not able to get a Wii straight away, all is not lost. We're shipping a staggering four million consoles worldwide by the end of 2006 and six million by March 2007, with regular shipments arriving in shops through Christmas and into the New Year.
Does this mean that people who pre-ordered may have a chance at having a Wii ;) before 2007?[/u]
Luke-H

I got mine last Friday (Argos pre-order) but can't play it 'til Christmas, which is a bugger.

Can't wait though, it looks great! :D
Stuart*
Banned

which is the point, u have to
Spencer For Hire

Who on earth chose the name Wii?

I nearly choked when I had the telly on in the background the other day and thought they were advertising 'Wee sports'.
Pete

why are you posting twice a lot at the moment Mark? I noticed this on TVF earlier too.

Is it because you feel your post count is inadequate compared to Andrew Tyne Tees?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
peterrocket

Having had the opportunity to play with a wii, the novelty soon wears off and controlling the games becomes increasingly difficult than with a normal controller!

If the shortages are intentional by Nintendo it's a fabulous bit of marketing by them.

Almost every news article says about how the shortages are causing anger for customers coming up to Christmas, but then they go further and report on why it's so popular. BBC News for example then went to show off the console's innovative remote as it's selling point live in the studio, thereby showing non-gaming people the console, it's remote controller and the concept of playing golf by swinging your arm.
Nate J

Nintendo said the name was designed to sound like "we" as it's "designed for everyone"