TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

cityprod

bilky asko wrote:
robschneider wrote:
Alexia wrote:
My employer doesn't think very highly of me anyway.
Do you tell him/her to fuck off too?
Cityprod has called people on TVF cretins. I can't imagine an inclusive community radio station like Source FM would be happy about one of their hosts using derogatory words towards disabled people.
...and now this really smacks of desperation.

The definition you refer to is a dated one, and dated as in, hasn't been used for that particular meaning at any point during my lifetime, and probably well before that.

Heck, I didn't know that definition even existed until you brought it up.

So yeah, nice try, but your desperation is showing.
bilky asko

That isn't what dated means in a dictionary. Dated simply means that the word is old-fashioned and isn't necessarily one used in ordinary conversation, barring some older people, without it sounding old-fashioned (probably down to the offensive nature of the other meaning).

However, it is expected that most people would know the meaning of the word - such as the words "bunkum" or "spiffing".

Ignorance is no excuse, Ian.
cityprod

If I didn't know that definition existed, then it's quite likely that a lot of people don't know that definition exists, Joe.

Really, you are sounding more and more desperate the more you reply. You need to step back and see the bigger picture. Right now, that bigger picture does not make you look good.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:If I didn't know that definition existed, then it's quite likely that a lot of people don't know that definition exists, Joe.
Now THAT'S projection!
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:
cityprod wrote:If I didn't know that definition existed, then it's quite likely that a lot of people don't know that definition exists, Joe.
Now THAT'S projection!
No, that's not projection, that is an estimation. A projection, in that definition, would be an estimation of something in the future, not in the present. This is merely an estimation.

A projection, in psychological terms, is when you ascribe your own thoughts, feelings, emotions, attitudes etc, to someone else, often but not exclusively as a means of self-denial. Now that's something you've been doing plenty of.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Now THAT'S projection!
No, that's not projection, that is an estimation. A projection, in that definition, would be an estimation of something in the future, not in the present. This is merely an estimation.

A projection, in psychological terms, is when you ascribe your own thoughts, feelings, emotions, attitudes etc, to someone else, often but not exclusively as a means of self-denial. Now that's something you've been doing plenty of.
Again, you're being patronising. I think anyone would have understood what the psychological term meant after you'd used it so many times, never mind that I understood the usage straight away when you used it inappropriately.

You presume you're in the majority by projecting your personal experience onto the rest of the population.
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:
cityprod wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Now THAT'S projection!

Again, you're being patronising. I think anyone would have understood what the psychological term meant after you'd used it so many times, never mind that I understood the usage straight away when you used it inappropriately.

You presume you're in the majority by projecting your personal experience onto the rest of the population.
Oh dear, bilky. You keep doing the same things, and you never learn from your mistakes.

You call me patronising, because I took the time and trouble to explain something using the dictionary definition, because I don't assume that everybody knows what I know. I had to use that definition because you misattributed something as being projection. Then you go and project onto me about both using the term inappropraietly, which I didn't and then projected the classic Conservative/Right Wing mindset about the presumption of being in the majority, which I don't presume at all.

I know that only 50% of the world is going to see eye to eye with my views, and the other 50% isn't and we know where you stand. So, you've made your points, now let it go. We all know we're on different sides, so let's leave it be shall we?
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:[T]he classic Conservative/Right Wing mindset about the presumption of being in the majority, which I don't presume at all.

I know that only 50% of the world is going to see eye to eye with my views, and the other 50% isn't and we know where you stand

So it's not projection if it's a 50:50 split of views? I can't believe how incredibly hypocritical you are.

If you're not even going to defend what you've previously written, and pretend you never did, it's pointless talking to you.
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:
cityprod wrote:[T]he classic Conservative/Right Wing mindset about the presumption of being in the majority, which I don't presume at all.

I know that only 50% of the world is going to see eye to eye with my views, and the other 50% isn't and we know where you stand

So it's not projection if it's a 50:50 split of views? I can't believe how incredibly hypocritical you are.
Hypocritical. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Advocating one thing and then doing the exact opposite, that would be hypocritical, especially if there's a moral angle

Psychological projection and the fact that only 50% of the world is ever going to see eye to eye with anybody's views, are not opposites nor mutually exclusive.

Nothing hypocritical about that.

Communication can only be present when there are fixed points of reference, such as definitions of words. If you are using a different set of definitions to the dictionary ones, then communication becomes impossible.

So yeah, maybe it is pointless trying to communicate between us, if we can't even agree on word definitions.
bilky asko

cityprod wrote:Psychological projection and the fact that only 50% of the world is ever going to see eye to eye with anybody's views, are not opposites nor mutually exclusive.
Where have you got this bullshit figure from? It's incredibly presumptive to say that your views will be agreed with by 50% of people, unless (shock, horror) you didn't explain yourself properly and you meant "up to 50%".

And now you're banging on about dictionary definitions when you didn't know the dictionary definitions for "cretin" or "dated", and you made up one for the latter.

I think it's a case of behaving in a way that suggests you have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case - in other words, being hypocritical.
Pete

THIS IS BORING

now shut up before I start banning people.
"He has to be larger than bacon"