What the hell is the point of...

cat

... diluted fabric softener?

For those of you unfamiliar with this baffling situation, all the fabric conditioners on the market are available in two forms: ''diluted'' and ''concentrated''.

In order to achieve the right level of softness, one must use from 35-55ml of concentrated conditioner, but 110ml or more of diluted. So, basically, you use twice as much diluted as concentrated.

The Comfort website says:

"Comfort is available in Dilute and Concentrate. Although the softening properties and perfumes are identical, Concentrate is more concentrated than Dilute, so you get more washes per litre, which makes it better value. The smaller bottle also takes up less space, is easier to carry and produces less packaging waste"

So what the bloody hell is the point of selling two types? Where is the logic in taking a product, watering it down, then having to produce larger, more expensive bottles to put it in, then paying even more to market it when you have something that does the same thing in a cheaper form. If concentrated is better value, produces less waste, and is in a smaller bottle, yet does exactly the same thing with less, why sell diluted at all?

Baffling, no?

Anyone?
marksi

Because to many stupid people in this country (and let's not forget just how many stupid people there are), a larger bottle for the same money looks like better value. Unless all manufacturers agreed to stop making the diluted product it's likely none of them will, because they'd lose market share to the manufacturer of the larger bottle.

Perhaps you should start selling an ENORMOUS bottle of very diluted product very cheaply. Of course you'd need to use an entire bottle per wash, but it *looks* like good value for money on the shelf.
peterrocket

Does it matter how diluted it needs to be to make the perfect mix? Once it hits the washing machine then well.. it surely becomes more diluted anyway !
Bail

It's a bit like the "50% Extra" thing, it seems like you get twice as much if you don't stop and thing about it...

Sums it up:

50% is more like a third in reality.
Sput

Both logic AND maths taking a hit there!
Knight knight
noelfirl

Say whaaa Bail? I'm tending to go with Sput here, when I see 50% I'm usually expecting a third extra (third extra overall, or 1 + half of the original size), twice as much would be to get 100% free, wouldn't it?

I think I'm confused.

marksi is right as ever though, many people are generally fickle mushheads.
Bail

Oh you are correct, but they don't put 1/3 free, or 40bags.. Because (and I've seen people do it) People say 50% is half, to im getting half free, therefor twice as much for the same price... When you don't. I know it's not, but working in a shop you get lots of people refering to it as twice a much etc...
cdd

I agree with bail, these things are deliberately misleading. You've just got to be canny when buying.

It's a bit like those signs that go:
10%!!!!! off
all new Phil

My flatmate bought the Daily Sport the other week, and on the top of the front page it had:

10p
cheaper than some of our rivals

VERY misleading seeing as the writing was tiny!
tillyoshea

cdd wrote:I agree with bail, these things are deliberately misleading. You've just got to be canny when buying.

It's a bit like those signs that go:
10%!!!!! off
Or in the case of Homebase,
10%ff

Oh, how that used to annoy me...
Brad

FREE DVD for every reader*

*Just take 50 tokens into Manx News on the Isle of Man to exchange for your DVD, or collect 50 tokens and send a cheque for £9.99 with the coupon we'll be printing at the turn of the decade. Please allow 365 days for delivery.
"That one!"